55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

kman…..The way you asked the question “where is it????” you must know I hate to through anything away. Well the graphics are hanging on the shop door. They were made to be reusable, but not sure about that yet.

Attachments:

kman
        Participant

thanks Tom… i thought they were permanant…

babycakes
            Participant

Tom,I always forget to ask you, hows the ride in your ’55’ with the stiff suspension,and big rear tires? Not all ‘that’ bad? Pete.

tomblake
                Participant

Pete…..The ride in the 55 is pretty good. Not like a Cadillac but good. I had a 59 Vet, not known as the best riding car around, loved that car. I can say the 55 rides better than the Vet did. The ladder bar and Detroit Locker are not the best combination for a quite smooth street car but we are talking hot rod and a fun driver. Future plan is to change from the Detroit Locker to a smoother posi traction type center section.
                    The 55 goes down the race trace straight and very comfortable up to 136 mph. When street cruising it is more sensitive to uneven road conditions with the ladder bar setup and low pressure big tires. There have been small pot holes you notice with the small front tires but the big rear tire will ride right over them like the hole wasn’t even there.

tomblake
                    Participant

We took the 55 to a week long car show (The Emerald Coast Cruisin) in Panama City FL. Never been to a week long car show before. There were parades, car shows in the afternoon, shows in the evening, flame thrower contests, 3 days of swap meets, cruises in town and along the beach. Never saw so many hot rods in one place, they were talking a count of more than 3 thousand cars. Even had an old hot rod with a Harley motorcycle engine. The last day was a big give away and it all ended with a concert. We put about 200 miles on the 55 during that week.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

Hey Tom, It sounds like a great time ❗ A week long show seems like a long
                            event , but it looks like there was plenty to do. Your 55 looks good parked next to it’s brother 55. 😆 I’m assuming that the 55 ran good with no problems ❓ Any
                            winter plans for the cars ❓ Weather goods great down there. Have you checked
                            out Buffalo, NY ❓ 6 ft of snow with more coming 😮 ..Happy Thanksgiving, if we
                            don’t talk before then. 😛

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                            Participant

The brother 55 is my neighbor Jim’s. Jim is the one that helped me get the bodywork done on my 55, beautiful car.
                                The show was pretty cool. We drove almost 200 miles around Panama City with no problems, temp on the Chevy never exceeded 190. Don’t like the Detroit Locker 3rd member, too noisy when locking and unlocking. Experimenting with an open 2.75 ratio, for noise reduction and gas mileage improvement. We took a trip to Orlando a couple of weeks back and the mileage looked to be about 10 to 12 mpg with the 3.25 locker. Will be trying to improve that mileage number with this new ratio 3rd member.
                                The winter plan is getting the interior done along with some other modifications. Fabricated a better gas pedal, made mods to the exhaust system and installing an new set of gages.
                                Weather kind of cool for here but nothing like the snow and cold up there. Happy Thanksgiving back to you Frank and to all the other ODF’s

tomblake
                                Participant

Converted the ladder bars to a 4 link system. The ladder bars were making all kinds of noise. The car rides better and the noises are all gone.

Attachments:

patina
                                    Participant

Hey Tom where you been? I just got off the phone with a friend of min from my LI days he lives in Villages Fl, he has a 36 Ford convertible street rod he drives around down there.

Pat

tomblake
                                        Participant

Keep having the “This page can’t be displayed” problem when trying to post most of the time. But keep trying.

Pat, does your friend drive to any of the car shows south of the Villages? Or Old Town in Kissimmee?
                                            We were at the car show in Dover FL Saturday. Had one guy asking when the Dover drag strip closed in DOVER FL. after he was looking at the Dover win stickers on the 55. Had to tell him not Dover FL or Dover Delaware but Dover NY.

tomblake
                                            Participant

Last Friday evening we made the Bartow downtown car show.
                                                The 55 was choose for the Best of Show award. It’s pretty cool people like the car as much as we do.

Attachments:

340swinger
                                                Participant

You all look great !

mleroux
                                                    Participant

Tom , congrats on a well deserved BEST OF SHOW , 😀 😀 😀 mike 😀 😀 😀 Hi Frank 🙂 🙂 🙂

vbob
                                                        Participant

HEY

The car looks familiar but not the people!!!!

‘V’

frank-j-majauskas
                                                            Participant

That’s great Tom ❗ “WELL DESERVED” ❗
                                                                The car looks great ❗ 😛 …….Hi Mike….

Frank… 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.