55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

Dino….You made me go back and look at the first post, hard to remember the car being like that. Today is the 97th day since I took delivery of the car back in December.
        Made more progress today. As of today the steering wheel actually turns the front wheels. Got all the steering positioned and tack welded together. It is nice to be able to push the car around without pulling and pushing on the front wheels to steer.
        Went to a custom exhaust shop to see if they could reform one of the header tubes, but they couldn’t and they didn’t have tubing I could buy to complete the driver side. Ordered a 2 1/4 “J” tube today, should have it Wednesday. Did figure out how to complete the passenger side and it is all tack welded and ready for a real welder.
        That is two big things that got done today but we are down to 145 days to the race.

Attachments:

babycakes
        Participant

Nice job on your header fabrication Tom,very ‘professional’ look!

bossguy

Tom you mentioned th guy was from NY. Could any of us contact the guy and follow up on the part you’re looking for?

frank-j-majauskas
                Participant

Tom, What a MINT job on those headers ❗ For that fact, the whole car ❗

Frank…

tomblake
                    Participant

bossguy….Thanks but don’t think too much of the guys responses. Told another guy here about the parts he had and that didn’t work out to good either.
                        The things I am looking for I believe I might be able to get here in Florida just not high on the list right now. Thanks for the interest in helping.

tomblake
                        Participant

Not much to add today but did get the deck lid on the car with an old license plate. Bolts were seized, parts missing from the latch and the fit is terrible but the deck is on. And we are another step closer to getting the car done. Shouldn’t say done these projects are never done.

Attachments:

mikey

Tom, you’re doing a hellofa job on that car. I can’t wait to see it all together and in primer. I think the car would look “Killer” in black primer. …….Mikey 😆

tomblake
                                Participant

Mikey….Nobody seems to like the orange color but me. Mary, my daughter and now you all are saying a different color than orange. The idea behind the car was to make it look like the original car. Not a clone because of the later technology in the chassis. Oh well, I just hope to get it race ready by the time we leave for the 4th race. 🙂

tomblake
                                    Participant

Got the second header tack welded, headers ready for a real welder to finish. Than I can get the headers coated. Fabricated a new trunk latch so now it will stay closed. Got all the locks but no keys so I will take the locks to someone to make me a set of keys for this car.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                                        Participant

Tom, those headers look factory ❗ What a nice job ❗

Frank…..

mikey

Tom, I was just assuming that you would be more interested in having the car race ready, than being painted 😮 . I like black primer, but it doesn’t matter. 🙄 If you have the time to paint the car, gold is the color of your old car, right? Do it the same. Or, there are several colors of primer, you could scrounge up a little of each color and “camouflage” the car. 😀

tomblake
                                                Participant

Couple of small items taken care of today. Clamped the gas pedal in a close location, installed a small panel to isolate an opening to the outside, exhaust (mufflers and tail pipes) still in the planning stage and had to cut the top of the firewall to make clearance for the carburetor. With the engine setback the carburetor and distributor need room to be accessed.
                                                    Still not sure about how to get to the distributor, may need to make a removable access panel.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Wow Tom…..that is ‘tight’ quarters for both the carb,and especially the distributor! Looks like a little more fabrication in store for access is right! Time to get the cardboard out again for form another ‘template’ to go by….have fun….Pete… 🙄 💡

mikey

Tom, maybe you should talk to Tomatohead about a Ford motor. Distributor is in the front. 😀 Would you make a hinged box inside the car for access, or what. Looks like a tough job. ……………..Mikey 😆

tomblake
                                                            Participant

Mikey….talked to a guy today about a distributor on the front of the engine but think that would be expensive. Still looking at how to get into the distributor area on the car, thinking about a removable section, but not decided yet.
                                                                Today we were working to add a couple of tubes to the chassis so it could be certified later if we decided to go that way. Figured it will be much easier to add the tubes now while the chassis is exposed.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.