55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

Got the transmission and driveshaft covers back. Started to cut and fit the two new pieces.

Attachments:

babycakes
        Participant

Tom….a work of art…looking real ‘GOOD’!!! 😮

mikey

I think Beautiful about covers it!!

dino
                Keymaster

Soon as you get some windows in …I’ll send you so ‘special’ decals!…like “283 E/G’

tomblake
                    Participant

This is what we are trying to make the body of the new 55 look like.

Attachments:

dino
                        Keymaster

How ya gona make that funky hood scoop? 😀

tomblake
                            Participant

Air scoop.
                                That’s a story by itself and I will probably not use that design.
                                Back in those days I don’t have to tell many about having no money. That scoop was a clothes dryer that went bad. Took the front or side panel off and cut the scoop from that material. It was not even good material, it was covered with a porcerlain type paint or material that cracked and sent little chips everywhere when it was cut. But it was my racecar air scoop and I thought it was pretty neat back than. 🙂

dino
                                Keymaster

Hey Tom…remember all the “Inovative” tunnel ram boxes? Newspaper and Mail boxes….Plexi fish tanks…reminds me of all the snip & tin work we did on stock cars every week to repair them from crashes. Find any old thing to cut up -patch and pop rivit. Pizza box patterns! …. “Racer Ingenuity”

tomblake
                                    Participant

Dino…..Yes I remember and the newspaper box was my favorite. Good thing we didn’t have newspaper delivery or guess what.

mikey

Don’t forget the “oversize” coal shovel, and the “oversize” dust pans. Tried both in my younger days. Also made one out of “Plexiglass” assembled with small L-brackets, and 10/32 machine screws. Actually looked pretty good with a little of the “Tunnel Ram”, and 2 Holley 660 Center Squirters sticking out of the hood.
                                            ……………………Mikey 😆

babycakes
                                            Participant

Guys,I always remember the ’68’ El Camino.”Twistin-Texan” of Tex Edwards with the ‘home-made’ clear plexiglass scoop,staring at the two 4’s holley carbs set up,popping through the hood.It was in the early 70’s I believe.I believe also,he had a car lot,on 9W just passed the underpass of 84 in Newburg on the right hand side going south? It certainly had the ‘right’ name; ‘twist and turn’ upon launch,down the 1/4.Also,on the return road,he’d have it cranked to about 5 G’s on the tach ,the way it sounded to me,going back to the pits! Wonder if he’s still around,and whatever happened to the ‘Twistin-Texan El Camino?

babycakes
                                                Participant

Hey Tom,been standing by to hear (and see) the latest progress on your ’55’ Chevy.You must be close on the trans-driveshaft tunnel installation? Also Mikey if your out there,how’s your Willys coming along? Heads on yet,or maybe ready to drop the engine in the chassis perhaps? Like to hear about your updates….thanks…. ❓

tomblake
                                                    Participant

Babycakes……Not much to report on, have a family issue to get over and than will be back on the project. Did put the tail lights in temporally just to make it look like a 55.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                        Participant

Thanks Tom for responding on progress….Pete 😀

mikey

Sorry, Pete. I’ve found some other issues with the engine, and I’m about ready to throw in the towel. I’m not sure if I should shoot the machine shop that sold me the block and parts, or take them to court. I’m also just about to the point of listing the whole package on the internet and just selling it all! I don’t ever remember being this disgusted with anything. I took the guy at his word, and I shouldn’t have. I always trusted the machine shops that I used when I lived up North. Precision Engine, VPS(Six Fiend), Broadway Auto, etc. etc. There are not that many in my area, and only a couple that do performance work. I’ll figure it out, I’m just not happy at all. Sometimes I wish that I had just gone ahead with the 383, I’d already be racing again. …………………Mikey 🙁 😕 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.