55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

We went to the Plant City car show tonight. We were surprised to be parked next to a green 37 Chevy powered Ford a lot like the one McWilliams and I raced at Dover in 1965. You just never know what we can run into from our Dover history.

Attachments:

maso
        Participant

Blake…

Did you point them to the thread we ran here at DDS dot com…?

Is there any chance that this is the same car…? Wouldn’t that be big…???

If it is then the current owner will really appreciate the history that’s been uncovered here eh…?!

tomblake
            Participant

Maso…..Both my 55 and the 37 are only look a like cars and sad to say not the originals from Dover. For me it was pretty cool to see the two look a likes together, sure reminded me of the good old Dover days.

dino
                Keymaster

Tell him to follow you up in Sept. 😆

tomblake
                    Participant

Next big experiment is to try and get 15+ mpg for the street driven race car.
                        Removing the TH400 to install a computer controlled 4L80E with overdrive and a lockup converter. Got the TH400 out, need some fabricating to install the longer transmission.

Attachments:

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

Hey Tom, that overdrive unit should really help with gas mileage.
                            Are you going to buy another driveshaft or cut this one ❓ Are
                            you running E85 now ❓ Keep us posted…interesting ❗ 😀

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                            Participant

Had the driveshaft cut today and will have it cut again tomorrow. Took the measurement very carefully but had the rear suspension hanging and it is still to long. Another lesson learned the hard way.
                                Run E85 in the Mustang only, the 55 is on 93 pump gas.
                                Found out the computer and throttle position indicator may not be on the way yet, waiting on a call to find out the status of those.

frank-j-majauskas
                                Participant

Yeah Tom, the rear end moves forward when you set the car on the ground. I found that
                                    out when we put the 6 speed in my 55. Had to cut my driveshaft also. 😆 Well,
                                    at least you didn’t cut it to short ❗ 😮 😆 Let us know how you make out..Merry Christmas ❗

Frank… 😎

tomblake
                                    Participant

Reminds me of the carpenters story, “No matter how many times I cut this board it’s still too short.”
                                        Just got back from the driveshaft re-do. will be trying it shortly.
                                        Merry Christmas back to you Frank and to all the ODF and families.

kman
                                        Participant

Forgive me for jumping in here but Sue and i will be at Braydenton Park for the U.S. Street Nationals at the end of January … hope to see you there…

Chuck (kman)

tomblake
                                            Participant

Went to the shop this afternoon and found that Santa left me a big red bow last night (Mary had a big smile on her face when I can out of the shop, wonder what that meant).
                                                Decided to enclose the floor under the transmission while converting to the 4L80. Knew I save the old dragster body for something. The dragster will ride again in the 55 Chevy.

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

1:38 AM …?

vbob
                                                    Participant

HEY

Tom, ya might need another one!

‘V’ http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5373315931.html

tomblake
                                                        Participant

VBOB…..Like the 55 Chevy, it’s the right color, if I had the time, money and space that would be another fun project, twins. 😆

tomblake
                                                            Participant

It is a little unusual to have a flat floor in a front engine rear wheel drive car. Seemed like a good idea till it was time to install the converter bolts. The floor re-design starts today. 😀
                                                                The computer to run the transmission is scheduled to be delivered today also. Well, back to having more fun.

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.