ASK THE FORD ANSWER MEN

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM ASK THE FORD ANSWER MEN

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    vbob
    Participant
        paul-ceasrine

Video Bob,
            Thought you-d like that..Rodney was the best…
            But another classic,,, from the ‘Honeymooners”,
            Ed Norton,,”Ralph,,Do you mind if I smoke”…..Ralph responds,,’I don’t care if you burn”..
            😆
            Ford Tech Question,,Cannot find the camshaft specifications for the 68’ 302/250HP
            Shelby. Seems the camshaft in the Shelby engine had the same lift as the 302/230HP 4V engine, but the Shelby camshaft had more duration…What degree???
            Paul,,,,missing Shelby GT350 link..

bossguy

i’m not too sure about that Paul, by 68 ford had taken over Shelby production in Michigan from California. I thought they were pretty much production engines, maybe with aluminum intakes, bigger carb and open element air cleaner?

paul-ceasrine

BOSSGUY,
                    Me “thinks” your right. Very hard engine to get internal specs on.
                    1968 302-4V,, “J” Code. 230HP and Shelby 250HP engine the same components.
                    10.0 – 1 pistons,,dish-type,,-.0015 dish w/notches…Cam specs, .368 intake / .380 exhaust
                    with 240* duration..
                    An optional Shelby engine was available with the Paxton Super-Charger,,pistons
                    were 10.5 – 1 compression,,flat-top w/notches. Camshaft different on the optional engine.
                    As well as a higher nickel content block casting (Element symbol; Ni). That element symbol is for all you chemists and scientists out there 😆
                    Carburetor and manifold info in my other folder..Reason I’m asking,,,I located a
                    68 GT350H (Hertz) automatic car,,a wreck 😯 but restorable.
                    Owner has documentation,,as well as a Ford factory recommended replacement camshaft from 68′ (still in the box),,.420 intake / .442 exhaust , with 248* duration, 26* overlap
                    and of course hydraulic lifters.
                    Problem, not a soul has any information on the early-mid 68′ camshaft. The advertised specs do sound ‘copacetic’, in adding much needed valve lift to the under-cammed engine.
                    Paul,,,still searching,,

smokncobrajet

Paul,did you try to contact the Registrar for the 68’s? He should know all this stuff.While engines aren’t my forte’ my thoughts are #1,usually a person buys these cars looking to resell and make $$ #2,what are your goals for the car if you get it,and #3 when restoring to factory like specs,what difference if the car isn’t going to see track time with such careful thought to a cam? #4 if you want to email me privately the VIN for the car I have the Registry books here for all shelbys ever built and all available history on the cars.You might or might not have all this already.I don’t know the circumstances of your deal.It’s nice to know the history and gives info on shelby air cars,stolen,never recovered,totaled beyond repair,crushed,etc,etc.I also have a friend who restored a 68 to Thorobred condition and is a Gold Card judge for MCA,and SAAC.I can put you in touch with him if need be for some excellent advice.

J~~~

bossguy

Paul, I didn’t think hertz rented shelbys after 66 but I’m no expert on them. SAAC.com might shed some light. Do you have the part number of the cam from the box or end of the cam? Like smokin CJ said SAAC looks after the vins closely. I would definitely do that. Jack

john-sachs-sr
                            Participant

We had 2 Paxton Shelby’s come thru Larsen’s doors.Both had C-4 transmissions,that always had issues. 😡
                                John

paul-ceasrine

BOSSGUY and J~~~,,
                                    Thanks for the Shelby info,,
                                    Yes the car were looking at is a legitimate 68′ GT350H…Still checking and re-checking documentation. Some great sites out there, as well as registry sections.
                                    Car is 1 of 224 built..Went to the Indianapolis Hertz Rental Agency,,obviously near the airport..What threw us off,,the car came with factory a/c…Many of the Hertz GT350H
                                    cars came with a/c…Car is dark green (Highland Green) with white stripes. Can be a looker, when properly restored…Waiting for all the duplicate info documentation,,I’ll post it for info help..The cool thing on the car,,,wood grain dashboard,,and tilt-steering wheel.
                                    As for the engine,,,BOSSGUY,,not 10.0-1 dish pistons like I thought,,10.5-1 flat-top
                                    with notches…Camshaft same as 302/230HP (.368int /.380 exh.)..Ford production stuff, just like you said..Carburetor Holley R-4069A Model #4150 (600 cfm) dual-feed/vacuum secondary,,,and aluminum high-rise intake #S2MS-9492…Also with the Cobra dress-up kit as standard equipment..,,From the information I’m gathering,,it looks like the first
                                    Shelby GT350’s left the factory with a stock cast iron intake and Autolite #4300 (480cfm)
                                    carburetor..The carb was problematic, and after failed attempts from the dealers in
                                    repairing them, Ford sent out a bulletin for a no-charge Holley carb and aluminum intake
                                    replacement system. Some cars went in for the swap out,,but not all of them took advantage of the ‘freebie’ improvement..Some cars still left on the bad-flowing intake and
                                    poor throttle response Autolite carb on the engine…Also looks like, in early 68′ an
                                    improved camshaft was available.. Ford dealers could offer a camshaft upgrade for a minimal charge, when the Holley carb and intake swap out was performed..The camshaft
                                    (.420int./.440exh. 248 duration) must have been available only in April 68′..I have to see if the boxed cam (Ford option) is dated??..Would be worth it, just to keep it in the box if it a Ford unit..Did contact Melling camshafts, and they are researching the missing camshaft
                                    history, to see if it did exist..
                                    Paul,,,,

dino
                                    Keymaster

Paul…My brother got a ’66 Hertz ‘rent a racer’ from Drake at Carmel Ford. Black with gold stripes .No a/c but had a wood grain dash and great authentic Shelby emblems and even a cool shelby-american vin plate under hood. Supposidly,each dealer in ‘metro’ area got 2. Drake bombed around in their other one for a while. Cost ? $2800. Who knew. He crashed it and it got stripped at body shop after he couldn’t pay the storage (Bedford Hills,N.Y.) fast car …would chirp the tires shifting into 2nd- was Auto.

paul-ceasrine

DINO,
                                            The 66′ cars were better..A little lighter, and had a better engine 289/306HP..I’ve heard the stories about guys renting out the 350H cars, stripping the intake and carb off the
                                            engine, and putting on a stock 289 unit, when returning the car…”Smart Move”…
                                            Nobody was doing that to the 68′ cars,,
                                            Still checking out more info on the 68′ GT350H,,looks like could be worth $100,000
                                            when perfectly done, but in this economy,,,a realistic number of $70,000 sounds right.
                                            Maybe J~~~ could let me know how many Highland Green (Code R) cars were produced?
                                            Looks like (25) white cars,,,(31) red cars,,,(34) lime green.
                                            Paul,,,

realmongo
                                            Participant

Okay, we might need Drake’s input on this one:

What change was made to the C2OZ-6200-A small block connecting rods to warrant a part number change to C3AZ-6200-D?

smokncobrajet
                                                    quote Paul Ceasrine:

DINO,
                                                    The 66′ cars were better..A little lighter, and had a better engine 289/306HP..I’ve heard the stories about guys renting out the 350H cars, stripping the intake and carb off the
                                                    engine, and putting on a stock 289 unit, when returning the car…”Smart Move”…
                                                    Nobody was doing that to the 68′ cars,,
                                                    Still checking out more info on the 68′ GT350H,,looks like could be worth $100,000
                                                    when perfectly done, but in this economy,,,a realistic number of $70,000 sounds right.
                                                    Maybe J~~~ could let me know how many Highland Green (Code R) cars were produced?
                                                    Looks like (25) white cars,,,(31) red cars,,,(34) lime green.
                                                    Paul,,,

It’ll have to wait for a while.I loaned one registry to a friend who picked up a 68 KR convertible and needed info to restore the car correctly.He actually just sent pictures of the finished car and I wish I knew how to get them to this site.He entered the big Rhinebeck show and took 1st with it,so apparently he did it right.Those guys that judge there are anal.My other registry is with the guy who bought the barn find I wrote about in another thread.That car will be hard to outdo as far as finding unrestored,rust and accident free shelbys.That is also a 68 but with a 427 side oiler,documented.Paul,you could do well contacting the registrar for the 68’s to pick his brain.Have you bought the car yet? Still waiting for you to pm me the VIN.I can give you any info on the car that might be in there,from the time it left the factory,up until the time it was lost track of.

dino
                                                    Keymaster

June….E-mail to me…I’ll post them .

paul-ceasrine

Hey Ford Tech,
                                                            Just how many Cobra-Jets were at the 1968 NHRA Winternationals?
                                                            And who was the go-between/broker, in getting the S/S Championship Rice-Holman Ford car for Harvey Wilson “Hairy Too”.
                                                            The Super/Stockers ran SS/E, and the stockers ran C/S?
                                                            PC

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Carmel Ford -Drake-did that deal.He said This:

“WE BOUGHT THE WINTERNATIONALS WINNING “FACTORY” 428 COBRA JET SUPER/STOCK CAR FROM AL JONIEC…TURN-KEY (NEVER GOT TO MAKE A “LAP” WITH IT…) …SOLD IT TO HARVEY/LINDA”

See the Harvey Wilson Topic. http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1536&p=9006&hilit=harvey#p9006

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 202 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.