ASK THE FORD ANSWER MEN

Forums Forums RACE TECH QUESTION FORUM ASK THE FORD ANSWER MEN

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    vindicator
    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Real-Mongo…(“love the handle”…reminds me of x-NFL Alex Karas…loved him in…in “Blazing Saddles”…especially…when he KO’D…the horse! 😆 😆 :lol:)…there really isn’t any physical difference (rods) between those two part #’s…one just supercedes the C3AZ (1963 casting) the C20Z (1962 casting)…length,5/16 bolts,etc….best factory production rod for 221-351 series engines was Boss 302…PART # C9ZZ-6200B…”beefier” casting,3/8 bolts…a decent piece… 😀 😀 😀 my real pal Jack Karl/”Boss-Guy” on this site…the best Ford Parts “Wiz”on the planet earth…bar none…can give you…all…the info …we all make some “mistakes” along this “road of life”…me…have made….ooh baby…plenty…. 😆 😆 😆 buying Al’s Rice-Holman Winternationals CJ car (we bought most of Al’s cars)…not ever racing it…not one of our best “choices” ‘eh…but then again…we met the late Harvey (Wilson), wife,Linda,her dad…and know the car brought them much enjoyment…and pretty good racing success… 😀 😀 😀 …so just…maybe…that’s really what it’s all about…for me…’course the car now worth $500-750,000…maybe a “mil”…but who would have “thunk” it!!! 😆 😆 😆 we’ve owned at least a few cars that have escalated in “value” into the stratosphere…mostly…just not…when we had “ownership” 😆 😆 😆 Drake….maybe ol’ Linda Wilson and me…just might have a “new” CJ racer in the “wings”…ya’ just never know…where the “wild” goose go..’eh!!!….maybe gotta’ “see” what…she’s really up to 😆 😆 😆

dino
        Keymaster

Drake …your the ‘Wiz” at remembering things…Will Definatly put you in credits of our Video Documentary as “HISTORICAL ADVISOR” ….And the “Wild Goose” be doin some strange flying lately…look at the Billy Milano Mustang …coulda rusted into that guys front yard. Speaking of Old cars saved…I’ll have to check on the status of your old Falcon….At least its safe in a garage with plans….HERES A FORD QUESTION…What happened to all those NASCAR “Busch Series “Ford Six’s. Now that would put some life in My ’93 F-150 and ‘maybe’ be good on gas -No?

vindicator
            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Dino…don’t really “know”…much…about much 😆 😆 😆 …just have “some stuff”…flyin’ around the big empty “airport”…located on top of neck/shoulders 😆 😆 :lol:…U…get the idea…hardly know…anything at all..’bout Nascar…only..old guys..David Pearson/Wood brothers…the one and only Ned Jarrett….”fossils”…if you will..but real gentlemen/racers/good guys…in the truest sense 😀 😀 😀 …if your 6 cylinder is a 300-inline…Clem LaChance has a real good handle on 240-300 series w/stock head…we did run one for a couple years..in a chopped top Pinto…with a modified Boss 302 head conversion/10,000 rpm-5 speed “buzz-box” madness…dem’s…were the daze ‘eh…ran awfully well…3-4 tenths under index/record…way back when…when we could make it…start to finish…then NHRA (infinate “wisdom”)…put the pencil to Modified Eliminator…and erased it…yet again…kinda’ souring the “taste”…for us…of NHRA…somehow..maybe Mike is gonna’ sell us that Falcon…before…all is said and done…time /age…gettin’ a lil’ short…if it’s gonna’ happen though 😆 😆 😆 Drake

dino
                Keymaster

Yes Inline I Have…and Clem has a lot of stuff up for Sale…HMMMMmmmm…Should I ? If things work out that “are in the works”…. might see a trip ‘north’ with the Trick Truck for a Heart Transplant….I can See it Now -Like the old Barn Raising Parties. Dover Fest- Dino Truck Motor Swap Party. I’ll buy the Pizza..Won’t touch a tool, I’ll hurt myself. YOU SNUCK In “Maybe Mike will sell us that Falcon” …that would be Great …the Ole Girl…Back home.

paul-ceasrine

Drake,
                        You got the Al Joniec car.
                        Not even one pass down Route 6?
                        Or even a holeshot in the Carmel Ford lot?
                        What was the purchase price?
                        By the way, Alex Karras (Mongo), ‘Was just a pawn in the game of life’.
                        Tha was the econd best line in the movie ‘Blazing Saddles’.
                        Just how did those Cobra-Jets qualify for SS/E in Feb 68′, without 50 out yet?
                        Another NHRA shakedown…
                        Paul

bossguy

I’m pretty sure Bob Browns 68 CJ ran Super F or G? Ram air and non ram air? Or with or without the extra Cyl heads under the back seat?

paul-ceasrine

Bossguy,
                                So that was the Ford Cobra-Jet Mustang trick 🙂 .
                                Dick Landy put lead inside the trunk deck-lid arm-hinges on the 68 GSS 440
                                SS/EA Dart at the Winternationals, for a little more traction. 😉 He won the class, but Al Joniec knocked him off the in the Semi’s.
                                * Cylinder heads under the seat, would that be 302-351W heads or the 302 Boss heads?
                                Paul,,,,,,,Looking for ‘Ballast’.

dino
                                Keymaster

Check that Linda Wilson Topic with all Harveys photos…seems he bounced around from class to class.

paul-ceasrine

Dino,
                                        Thanks for that lead-in to the other thread.
                                        I think I figured it out.
                                        1968 1/2 (6) 428 Cobra-Jets were built specifically for the 68′ NHRA Winternationals.
                                        They were produced 2 months before the 68′ Factory Hemi Dart and Cuda’s were built.
                                        The Cobra-Jet Mustangs fell into SS/E class (8.70-9.48 wt/hp).
                                        Or in C/S (9.00-9.49 wt/hp).
                                        The 1968 1/2 Cobra-Jets were re-classed to SS/G in 69′, and then back into SS/F,
                                        as NHRA expanded the Super/Stock class in 1969, and then re-aligned it.
                                        If I recall, besides Harvey, the Rye Ford team had a pretty good running Cobra-Jet also.
                                        (6) specific Cobra-Jets were built for the 1968 Winternationals.
                                        (3) for SS/E, (2) for SS/EA and Hubert Platt got the Tasca Ford-sponsored C/SA car.
                                        The SS/F cars were built with .600 lift camshafts. Pretty tall for February 1968!!!
                                        No wonder why the ran like monsters!!
                                        Paul,,,,Anyone remember the Mercury Bobcat? 🙄

vindicator
                                        Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Paul…Linda & Harvey…paid less than $5,000 for the car…and we of course…paid Al Joniec less than $5,000 as well…they did buy a trailer,spare Nash pro-shifted top loader,cases of oil,plugs,etc. as part of the “package”…Harvey wanted to go racin’ “right”…and Linda…saw to it that he had a good car…and plenty of spare equipment to to function…week to week…the Pomona cars were prepared by Bill Stroppe & associates…out on west coast…they ran SS/E and SS/EA at Pomona in ’68…They were Al Joniec’s Rice-Holman car,Gas Ronda’s Russ Davis car,Dyno Don Nicholson’s Fougler Ford car,Bill Lawton’s Tasca car,Hubert Platt’s Paul Harvey Car…these were the only “factory backed” CJ cars…actually…ever…for sure a lot of “privateers”…ran very well…but at Dover Drag Strip…Harvey Wilson…was the “primo” CJ car…bar none…only time Harvey …if in fact he ever lost to another CJ car…was if he beat himself via redlight/missed shift/late at start…U…get the idea… 😆 😆 😆 …for me the smell of napalm…naw’… actually nitro…was in the air by the end of the 1968 season…when we bought car (SS/car)….some “caballeros’ (from Stamford)…did attempt to steal that car out of Carmel Ford…steel-wooling up collectors,etc..and were close to going out the back door of the shop…but ol’ eagle eye Carmel police…who had pulled round back to snooze (reguarly) after the late night coffee/doughnuts 😆 😆 😆 …nailed ’em…guy/officer ( the late Charlie Leonard, went on to be chief for many years…great guy…true friend of my dad’s)…that was a bit of a “down-side” of those days..Carmel Ford was broken into pretty reguarly…a lot of “stuff” stolen…Route 6…was pretty desolate…in 1968…easy prey for guys with “long fingers”/bad intentions(for us) ‘eh 😆 😆 :lol:…that’s..it…for now…hoss… 😀 😀 😀 Drake

patina
                                            Participant

Did Hayden Profitt have a Comet that had wheelwells like Laganas? Or did Lagana by a car from Profitt? I am dealing with a guy from indiana that has or had Profitts car I will try and post pictures.

Pat

Attachments:

vindicator
                                                Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Pat…Hayden’s car was a west coast factory effort…originally a stock wheelbase…but always a SOHC 427…in the boiler room…legal A/FX…later to be altered wheelbase/injected…as was de’riguer for early funny cars….”think” (probably…not a “good” thing…for me to do too much of 😆 😆 😆 )…Billy Lagana/McCormack car was originally a legal A/FX car too…although always a “wedge” 427 powered car…then came the injector/ altered wheelbase modification….not really sure…if it was a brand new car…when Billy/McCormack aquired it…some of the factory/regional “deals” were kind of short in “term”…like Arnie “the farmer” Beswick…who had a factory backed A/FX Comet for a short time…just didn’t like the “politics” of corperate relationships/racing…. 😆 😆 😆 ….U…get the idea…people tellin’ you…what to do…how to do it…and where to do it…Arnie…was/is…his own man…felt Nicholson-Schartman…also were getting all the “inside” info/help ….so he told Al Turner (then Mercury racing “honcho”)…where to put….his Comet…. 😆 😆 😆 ….and went back/carried on with the awesome string of “Tameless Tigers” Pontiacs…Arnie…be a man…amongst..men! 😀 😀 😀 Drake

dino
                                                    Keymaster

AHHHHH…Too much Info …These guys are like going to Drag Race History School. Gotta take notes ! whens the pop up quiz..Wow …we got the makings of a Book here “The Italian Drag Connection”- …No kidding…good stuff ! ,and “Insider Info ” Is it Lunch yet.?

grover-dragct

billy car was anew car not a shop made afx…….not a fan of alter stock cars ….grover

paul-ceasrine

DRAKE,
                                                                Must have been the ‘Whacka-Do’s’ from the Put-Lake area that tried to get into the
                                                                garage back-door.
                                                                They tried the same thing at Meadowland, when my father had the Barracuda their
                                                                for something. They took the Hooker headers, but couldn’t get the garage door all the way
                                                                up. The next morning, half the car was sticking out of the garage back door, with the roof of the car jambed under the garage door. Wonder if it as the same ‘night’.
                                                                Hey, one of those Mustangs at the 68′ Winternationals was a C/SA car. Made it to the
                                                                class semi-finals, running 12.90’s.
                                                                OUCH,, on the Al Joniec car, less than $5000 with cases of oil..
                                                                Hopefully, ‘Super Permalube’. The blue & gold soft-container oil cans sold by Amoco 😆
                                                                What would that be worth today $600,000-$700,000, Thats the car,, not the OIL 😉
                                                                Paulie

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 202 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.