Current street toy

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Current street toy

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

Bossguy…..Anything is possible and will look into the ground tomorrow. The one light that was working is not coming on every time same as it was doing before. Was setting the alignment of the lights when I got to the HID I started the engine first than turned on the headlights but the light flashed and went out.
        Thought I knew a little about electric and looks like that is the case, I know very little.
        Got two electric problems that have been kicking my butt in the last week. The HID lights on the Mustang and a new distributor that will not work on the 55 Chevy.
        The distributor wouldn’t fire up the engine when plugged into the same wires the crank trigger was connected to. Found out the pickup was a modular type and not a magnetic pickup. Called MSD and they said the hookup is different and said connect the red positive wire on the distributor to the ignition connection on the MSD box and the black wire to the points connection on the MSD box. That worked, fired the engine right up but it quit as soon as I released the starter switch. Called MSD back but they had no solution. The Ignition terminal stays hot with a separate ignition switch and the points terminal has no other connection outside of the MSD box. Don’t know why it would start so good and than quit when the starter switch is released. There is no connection between the two switches. Got a another new distributor and it does the same thing.
        The engine starts and runs great when plugged into the crank trigger and that uses all the same wiring except for the pickup.
        Gave up on electric today and changed the oil on the Mustang, that went well and had no problems with doing that. Electric tomorrow.

mikey

Tom, I don’t understand your start but no run condition. Do you have a key switch, or a toggle on with a push button crank?? If you have a key switch, you have to have a starter bypass like in the stock system to keep power to the coil while it cranks. Just a thought. If you have a toggle and a push button, I quit. Time for two people and a test light. Good luck, and have patience. ……………..Mikey 😕 🙄

tomblake
            Participant

Mikey….Yes, it is two separate switches, on/off ignition and a rocker for the starter. That’s the problem and there isn’t any connection to the two switches except the batteries in the back of the car for the B+. Sounds like a good question but no good answer.

mikey

My switches are the same. Toggle for on/off ignition, and push button to crank the engine.I have the Crank Trigger Ignition too. You now have no crank trigger, with just a distributor, is that right? Have you tried just running a jumper wire, constant 12v to the distributor, or coil, to see what happens? Maybe you’re losing voltage at the MSD Box for some reason. Very strange. Wish I could help out, and I hope I’m not confusing you with my questions and or ideas. …………….Mikey 😆

tomblake
                    Participant

Mikey….You are not confusing me it’s the problem that is confusing. Have both crank trigger and the electronic distributor in the 55 same as the Mustang. Crank trigger works great just the distributor is the problem. Did try the distributor connected to the coil no fire at all there. The ignition connection on the MSD box is directly from B+ thru the ignition switch and that’s where the red distributor wire is also connected.

The Mustang works good with both ignitions, crank trigger and electronic distributor. I can change from the crank trigger to the distributor and back by using a switch I have inside the car. If one ignition fails I can switch to the other. I can change timing because one ignition is setup 2 degrees different than the other.

The problem the baffles me is the starter switch has nothing to do with the engine running. So why does it stop when released????? Just don’t know.

patina
                        Participant

Tom on the Chevy starter there are two #10 or so lugs one is for 12 volts to the coil for starting and one is for the ignition switch. ( I know everyone knows this) and when ignition switch is worked on sometimes these wires get swap around. That is the exact symptoms you are describing. It happened to me once and when I found out I went DUH.. So look for a wire that was switched by mistake.

Pat

tomblake
                            Participant

Pat….That was a very good guess as to the problem but you didn’t have all the information. We are using a mini starter with only two connections and not the Chevy starter. We do like the inputs we are getting and hope we get to solve this problem. As of now the people we got the distributors from are sending us another new one. Just a very slim chance the other two distributors were defective.

mikey

More help is on the way. I spoke to Tony lamb, and he will call you tomorrow, late morning. He had the same troubles with same distributor, Pro-Comp. Hope he can help you.
                                    ……………………. 🙄 😆 Mikey

tomblake
                                    Participant

Back to the HID lights on the Mustang. Talked to the CFR techs, tried there ideas and still the lights did not work properly. There might be a problem with the Mustang wiring so eliminated all the car wiring to the lights and installed a separate switch to operate them. Now they seem to work ok.
                                        We took the Mustang to the local car show tonight and tried the lights for the first time at night. What a difference, they really are bright and light up the night. Need a little adjustment but they are so much better than what we had before.
                                        It is hard to tell if the new lights are any brighter than the aircraft landing lights we have installed in the running light location. There is not doubt we can be seen at night if we have all the lights on at once. Might need a bigger battery. 😆

dino
                                        Keymaster

Love this guys Post Times 😆 LANDING LIGHTS? in the running light location…Must look like a rolling disco when you turn it ALL on?

babycakes
                                            Participant

Tom nice going……I think Dino believes your next project is ‘wings’ for your Mustang! 😮 😆 Any event ‘LET THERE BE LIGHT” Amen to another problem solved!

tomblake
                                                Participant

The Hoosier tires worn out. Mustang is ready for the rainy weather now that it has tires with tread.

Attachments:

tomblake
                                                    Participant

Took the Mustang out for the first time in a long while. It didn’t like sitting. Went to the local car show, the car ran rough getting there and even worse coming home.
                                                        Forgot how much attention that car gets. had lots of people that hadn’t seen it for a while stop by. A couple of guys stopped with the father who is from up north. They said that they had told him about the Mustang and they just happened to bring him out when we took it to the show. They told me he was not doing well but sure wanted to here the engine run. We started it up for him and they seemed pretty impressed.
                                                        Took the carburetor off this morning. The special metering plates have about 10 removable jets on each plate. The jets all had a coating of what looked like jelly. The jelly had some of the red gasket coating mixed with it. Not sure what that came from since all the fuel is filter before and after going into the engine. Thinking the E85 may have broken down the gasket material or something in the system. cleaned off the jelly, blew out all the holes, re-assembled the carburetor and installed it on the engine. Started up the car and it hasn’t run this good for while.

mikey

Tom, try a little Stabile in the fuel, about 1oz. per 5 gals. I also mix 1oz of Marvel oil in the same tank. No trouble in the almost 4 years I’ve run E85. 😆

tomblake
                                                            Participant

No more E85 in Lakeland. The station that sold it had a tank go bad, leaking. If they fix the tank they said, may not go back to E85. Had to make a 64 mile round trip to Lake Wales to get the last E85 and that is the closest place.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.