Current street toy

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Current street toy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    tomatohead
    Participant

Thanks, I wish you knew who you sold it to ,I am in Shelton Ct all the time I drive tractor trailer deliverling bagged cemet all threw CT and NJ and mostly the mannhaten queens brooklyn bronx and long island.Anyway I raced at Dover in late 75-76 and only a little bit, and I never won there. I had 63 Falcon Sprint 302/351W 4 spd…….use to drive right passed Carmel Ford in Carmel to get Sonoco 260 100 octane right from the pump back in those days………………….I use to go to Dover all the time and watch from 64 or 65 with my father and uncle and then with any and all of my friends that raced there.back in the late sixtys and early seventys all the guys in Somers and all the sorounding towns use to race at Dover so it was easy to always get a right up with somebody ………..anyway I am open minded about horsepower and your car looks like it has plenty ❗

tomblake
        Participant

tomato….For some reason I think the guy, (don’t know his name), that bought the ’55 was from Bridgeport CT but not sure after all this time. What does surprise me is the car it didn’t show up anywhere.

I think everyone did the same thing for gas back then, Sunoco 260 and if you knew someone you could get the straight high octane that was supposed to be 280.

When you were watching ’64 – ’65 I was racing but when you were racing I had left for South Carolina.
            in ’64 I was running the ’55 E/G’er
            in ’65 – the ’55 till near the end of the season than we tried the B/A ’37 Ford
            in ’66 – the 409 went into the A/MSP fiberglass car till about mid season. That is when we moved to SC.

Horsepower in the current project: the engine that I just took out was dyno’d at 934. It was the quick 16 engine we had for the dragster. Not to practical for the street but it was fun and caused a lot of attention. The new engine is the GM 620 hp 572 low compression engine and I can buy gas at the pump. As a matter of fact I drove to the local BP station this afternoon and put in $20. The other engine that $20 would have only been 2 gallons.

billy-casey

Tom… You should pass this info to the ford fans as a # 1 speed secret … put a chevy in it 😆 😆 :lol:… I remember 280 sunoco , i think they stopped making it around 1964 [ great stuff ] we then went to the airport for green av-gas …

gramdog1
                Participant

Has Bossguy seen this? Maybe he is too shocked to reply. Where are you Jack?
                    Love it, Gramdog1

bossguy

You guys say such hurtful things! How do your wives put up with this? 😥

tomblake
                        Participant

Billy said:
                            I remember 280 sunoco , i think they stopped making it around 1964 [ great stuff ] we then went to the airport for green av-gas …

Didn’t they take the 280 and call it Cam II ? Here in Florida (don’t know if it is sold other places) some Sunoco stations sell Cam II at the pump and it is advertised as being 100 octane. Wasn’t good enough for the 14.5/1 compression engine just removed from the Mustang.

billy-casey

Tom ; i believe the 100 oct. cam 2 is unleaded … the purple cam 2 is 108 oct. …may be not legal to sell at the pump

today … that was very simular to the old 280 sun. 280 had alot of lead in it , good stuff …Billy

tomblake
                                Participant

Major problem resolved today.
                                    Took 3 test runs with the car, temperature went up and up till I shut it off. It took about six miles to reach 200 / 210. Removed the serpentine drive system and put on the electric water pump from the race engine to see if the pump was turning in the correct direction. The casting number on the serpentine drive pump showered it to be a reverse direction pump as it should have been.
                                    Test run today with the electric water pump work great, temperature settled about 170 on a 10 mile ride.
                                    After talking to all those that supplied the pump we found the serpentine pump was not a reverse pump, no “R” on the vane.
                                    Just a few more minor things and we are ready to ride. I would say the project is done but we all know we are never done.

Attachments:

tomblake
                                    Participant

Now we can make everyone happy or unhappy. The latest change is the addition of the “Mini Mopar Pro Stock Scoop”. That makes a Ford body, a Chevy engine and the Chrysler scoop.

Attachments:

anonymous

Hi Tom,

Your car looks great. How is the motor running now.

Andy

tomblake
                                            Participant

Andy…..Thanks, still breaking in the motor but it feels pretty good. The noise level is just as bad as the drag motor and that is the only thing that is advertising for a ticket, everything else is street legal. It runs a little hotter than I would like to see also. Went about 15 miles in 80 degree outside air temperature and it was running about 198. Waiting for the serpentine drive pump to come back, hoping that will cool it down some.
                                                Still tweaking, these things are never finished.

charlie-irving

Absolutely beautiful Tom. Best of luck with it. Like I said, it’s imbedded in your DNA and will never go away.

Charlie

tomblake
                                                    Participant

Thanks Charlie…..Still tweaking, trying to get it to run a little cooler. Yesterday we passed 65 miles on the new motor. Went to the local car show the other night, had about 10 guys around the car before I could even get out. The exhaust is a little bit too much. I thought going from 14.5/1 down to 9.6/1 compression would make it quieter but it sounds about the same.

Attachments:

tomblake
                                                        Participant

We went to the local Burger King and had some fun.
                                                            (couldn’t resist twekking this to see more….edit-dino)

Attachments:

tomblake
                                                            Participant

Took the car up to Mac 1 Signs in Homosassa Florida yesterday. Keith, the owner of the business added another graphic to the car. I have been surprised that a lot of people still don’t know that most Ford engines have the distributor in the front not the back, the new graphic may help.
                                                                We drove the Mustang to the car show in Crystal River after adding the new sign. On the way back we got stopped by the local police. First time I have been stopped with the Mustang since we started to drive it on the street. He didn’t stop us for the noise which is the only thing I though could be a problem. He was only interested in the back tires, thought they were slicks. After telling him they were DOT tires and he checked the grooves everything was cool.
                                                                I asked him if he wanted to see the rest of the car. When we opened the hood he called another officer and told him “this is what we need”
                                                                All in all we had a fun day playing with the car, kind of like the old days. 😀

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 237 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.