GASSERS.!.At Dover —–Photos/Stories /Historys

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR GASSERS.!.At Dover —–Photos/Stories /Historys

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Nope.That’s the ole Sanzo-Sullivan BB/GS ( then a AA/GS) all fiberglass chopped top Willys (twin to Merkel’s glass 33 (circa 67 to 69).Frank Repoli (John’s brother) purchased it from Vinnie Crawford of the ‘Islanders’.Vinnie had bought it from Eddie Sanzo.Frank Repoli died a few year’s ago; Frankie Jr.(with the help of Uncle John) now runs the car once in a while at E town nostalgia drags.Paul B’s Willys is a ‘real’ steel body,built from scratch.

patina
        Participant

I understand that the car is/was for sale back in Nov. 2013, Jr. (Wayne Hopkins) told me when I saw him. I think the price was 45K maybe???

Pat

babycakes
            Participant

Pat,believe me,Frankie Repoli Jr. is like the weather,unpredictable to say the least! Both V Bob and Paul B. got tired of waiting for ‘years’,and finally gave up! They moved on with Paul,with his now 33 Willys,and V Bob with his Vega.First he wants to sell it,then he don’t,because of ‘sentimental’ value of his father Frank Sr. Frankie Jr. a ‘nice’ guy,but, don’t hold your breath waiting for him to decide to sell it; and believe me,the body needs alot of lipstick and makeup,the way Sanzo had it.Price,I have no idea? 🙄 Pete.

mikey

I met John and his nephew at E-town last year when I had to fly to N.Y. on family business. The car is pretty well used up, and Jr. does not seem to know how to work on it. It no longer has the blower on it, just a single carb, and they are constantly having mechanical issues with the car. I know that John gets disgusted flying up, and not getting the car down the track. Oh, it’s still a Big Block Chevy, but nobody seems to know the cubic inches, or maybe they just don’t want anyone to know. It’s a shame, it was a very nice car.
                    ……………………..Mikey 🙁 😥

babycakes
                    Participant

Hey Mikey,going back some year’s ago,when Frank Repoli was alive, he first ran the ‘blower’when he bought the Willys.However,as Frank put it,’ kind of expensive with the up keep’. That’s when he went the 4bbl. route.I’m almost positive it still has the original ‘427’ Chevy big block in it , that Eddie Sanzo and Vinnie Crawford ran in AA/GS.No doubt the ‘body’ needs some attention,however,the drive train.and original chassis are in very good condition.I remember Frank turning mid 9’s with it at ‘E’ town about 10 year’s ago.Last year V Bob told me Frankie Jr.( with the help of Uncle John) made one pass at ‘E’ town Nostalgia Drags,turning 13’s. No doubt,just like learning to ride a bike,young Frankie Jr. will have to learn how to handle the Willys in due time. No doubt,it has some ‘east coast history when Sanzo-Sullivan owned it. V Bob,Paul B. and I all agree,it should be restored and put back the way Eddie Sanzo had it. It’s sad to see it ‘aging’ away. Thank goodness for Uncle John helping young Frankie Jr. once in a while,run the Willys!

dino
                        Keymaster

Got MORE just In …Here Goes…”Super Goat” parked in the back….

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

More From Rick Hanmore Collection…

Attachments:

dino
                                Keymaster

Didn’t Have many of the “Bagger”…Now we do. Hows this for a line from “Dover Days” . . . . “In the Other Lane ,you’re the enemy, but back in the pits,you’re Family”…Lunchtime in the Gasser Pits

Attachments:

dino
                                    Keymaster

And from Tex Edwards collection he just found…Gave to Brian who sent to Me…One of his first “Outings” with shoe polish. ‘Got Me one of these neat Race Hats,,,So I guess I’m a Racer” .Notice one of the rare shots of that promo decal that I duplicated on his window>

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

Back To Hanmore Collection…Nice Mustang-? Whos? Its in the Gas Pits…MP or Gas BUT check out the Willys in the back! Whos That?

Attachments:

dino
                                            Keymaster

Things in the background…Seen “Charity” before,But never saw that 40 Ford …ID please?

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

All Time Favorite…Ida Automotive

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

And…Rick was there Woodstock Day with the Fuel Coupes…Little overcast…Raining on the Rockers ,but the Sun came out On Dover That Day

Attachments:

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Great Detail Shot Of The Vitar Gasser, and Jersey Eng. sitting ‘Just Right” ………”Another Round of SUUUUUuuuuuuper Charged Blown GASSER ACTION coming Up as our first annual GASSER Meet continues”….BB/GAS Meet- Aug 25 1968 . 7 cars showed including Sachs/Malanese -Eastern Auto -Lopinao- Ida and others .

Attachments:

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Have to go Back to Page 7 in this topic to see all of todays additions…But While I have the Gasser Freaks attention…Found this in Ricks Photos…Doesn’t look like Dover and I never have seen this car before. It’s absolutly georgious and from Brooklyn.I think this might be Conn. Dragway…So Who’s got the info on it.

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.