HorsePower is Where You Find IT !

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING HorsePower is Where You Find IT !

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 444 total)
  • Author
    tomatohead
    Participant

…. ok I am trying to get to track one time before they close to see if this trans will shift under “pressure” 😕 I think I found a way to pick up some hood clearance and horsepower at the same time 😀 I was reading and old magazine I got off of ebay ( yes I can read , … a little 😀 ) on 351 Cleveland engine dyno mods and found out they had crossbreeded a “Offenhauser” tunnel ram lower with and Weiand 2×4 upper tunnel ram top that uses a smaller plenum and made more lower end power and made a more level overall powergain at the same time , so I got a used one off of ebay and will try the 2×4 set up for next year and yes I will be KEEPING the 4 spd trans in the car :mrgreen:

Attachments:

tomatohead
        Participant

…. couple more pics of the crossbreed ………………………………………. I got the “new” plenum off ebay for a 1/5 of the cost for a new one 😀 and pretty much just needs to be glassbeaded and fastened on and test fit the hood clearance ❗

Attachments:

mikey

Hey Mater, did you get a new camera? The pictures actually look very good. Also, I see some of your lack of power problem. The valve covers have M/T stamped on them, and that means “Mighty Tired”. Have fun with your new intake set-up, it just might work with the right carb/jet set-up. …………..Mikey 😆

babycakes
                Participant

Hey Mater,the theory behind this article seems logical.I remember ‘tunnel-rams’ were made for high revs,to produce power;your ‘combo’ is like a high riser on the ole Ford 427.Not as high as the ‘lunch-box’ tunnel-ram,which would be useless in your application.I agree with Mikey,you got a little bit of work figuring out carb and jetting,but at least your on the right track for some more horsepower gain I think.good luck! I was surprised your gonna give that ‘top loader’ another chance?

don-kauer

Don’t take this wrong but Chevy kind of ruled in the old days because of the mass production of parts and availability…The Mopars and the Fords were dominant when the Pro guys had them because of MONEY..It was not fair but that is the way it worked…….So a great running Ford or Mopar stood out more..Today they are all on an equal playing field because of the aftermarket……So all the Chevy guys back in the day who doubted the other brand cars got to see that with the right money and parts no one alone rules..If you have the bucks and the parts it does not matter what brand you have…For me Chevy has always been a personal pick 😀 My point is: Mater, don’t try using the old crap that held most of the Ford people back in the old days…Spend some of your cash on the newer aftermarket parts and spend the time to do it RIGHT and you will catch up with the rest of the field 😎 ……..Don….

tomatohead
                        Participant

….GUYS ❗ I love the input ❗ MIKEY I love that one “Mighty Tired” thats really funny , but I dont think Mickey would like it 😀 😆 ❗ …..BABYCAKES ❗ ….. YES ❗ 4 speed FULL SPEED AHEAD ❗ 😯 and DK 😀 just thought it would more or less help my hood clearance problem and keep the carbs under the bubble and I am saving the money for some Liberty Gear face plating and pro shifting work on the gears ❗

tomatohead
                            Participant

……… Man 🙄 I tell you guys it never ends 😕 but anyway not really a BIG deal , I am sure it has happened to ALL of us at one time , I was going to pick up a car today and the rear brake line blew out ❗ 😮 so took that mess apart and ordered the rest of the parts for monday 😀 ❗

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                Participant

……. so while the rest of the day 🙄 as not to waste it , …I glassbeaded the intake plenum and tryed the test fit 😀 fit good and looked good ❗ 2x4s under the bubble here I come ❗ …………………………………………………………………… OH “MIKEY” I didnt really get a new camera but have been swapin” the memory card with my wifes 35mm camera 🙄 😀 …. I mean just for now ❗ 😆 😀 look as the pics look good , THATS all that counts ❗

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                    Participant

…… this is just a short up date 😀 , yes I am still working on the car 🙄 and yes I got a couple of 600 Holleys to “FOOL” around with for the tunnel ram , stopped by the “SMOKIN COBRA JET ” house hold to say “HELLO” and they have got plenty going on 😀 , It is my GOOD FORTUNE to be helping with some engine upgrades for them for this year 😀 ❗ Very Nice People ❗ ( RUDY & JUNE ❗ ) ….. so some pics of progress ……………………………………………………………………………….. tomato ❗

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                        Participant

………… my father used to tell me to “hang” out with people who are smarter then you 🙄 ❗ …..so that should be easy for me 😀 ❗ …so I have been hangin’ around with “SMOKIN” Cobra Jet since they won the first “DOVER FOUR SPEED” class race and they have said that I need a “Nice New Aluminum driveshaft” and some traction bars with pinion shims for the Fairlane , so I said “O.K.” 😀 ❗ and here are the parts that they have “Sponsored to me” :D………………………………………..now I had drove pass one of the “locals” a little fast 🙄 and he didnt come out after me 😯 , ….. 🙄 ….so this must have been his driveshaft ……… 😉 😆

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                            Participant

……… trying to keep the “tomatohead” stuff here and not on “SmokinCobraJets” page but just for fun I think the “Match Race” thing is cool 😎 ……. I will soon be heading to Island to test first ,then to the Valley, trying some carbs and tranny stuff out 😀 ❗ ……………. heres a picture of V BOB and tomato at 2nd DOVER RACE at ISLAND DRAGWAY 😀 ❗

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                                Participant

……… “DRAKE” YES FIBERGLASS 😀 ❗ I actulliy have FIBERGLAS fenders and the fiberglas bubble hood “TEARDROP” of couase ❗ 😀 and the “RAM TUBES” and FIBERGLAS front bumper and FIBERGLAS rear bumper 😀 I also removed the bench seat and put in Ford Fairlane Sports Coupe Bucket Seats 😀 I also removed the heater box and controls and removed the radio too and the rear seat has somehow dissappeared also ❗ 😛 and YES I am thinking ❗ $$$ ❗ 😀 of getting a FIBERGLAS trunk lid and the FIBERGLAS doors too 😀 ❗ …………… the battery has also been “relocated” 😀 to the trunk area ………… NOW IF I could just LOOSE 25 LBS 😆 😀 ……………….. “WHO” says you dont know how to go fast ❗ 😀 …… remove that weight ❗ 😀 ……….. removing weight is the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to add HORSEPOWER 😀 ❗ …………………….

Attachments:

vindicator
                                                    Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Tomato…I am GENUINE “LOVER”…of the Fairlane Thunderbolt…35 plus years ago (1976-78) we ran a legal Super Stock (SS/C) Thunderbolt (3-pedals…of course!!!)…3240 lbs..reguarly 10.30’s (best ever 10.25) @ 133-4 mph…yes we had the very best of pieces…and “legendary” (to me) a real friend…Willie Hormorete turning the wrenches…it was a “big buck” car for the “period”… Carl Holbrook,Gapp & Roush…handmade Ron Ross tin intake…pretty much like all our cars…NHRA DIVISION 1 “BEST APPEARING” car @ E-Town points race…I’ve said many times…I am a lucky guy…for sure 😆 😆 😆 …Lee Valentine worked with Willie back then…can attest to the quality of this Herb McCandless chassis/prepared car…I’d still own it…except…when Willie died…just couldn’t stand to look at it everyday… really kinda’ had a broken heart 😥 😥 😥 just had begun exporting race cars to Europe pretty steady…when Euro buyer wanted it…it was “best” for me…not seeing it anywhere locally 😀 😀 😀 …that wuz then…this…is now…new thinking…big…motor displacement for any series engines…low rpm…zero maintainance…kinda’ like a tractor (for non-legal NHRA stock/super-stock class racing) 😆 😆 😆 …this coupled with the lightest possible car weight…gives great numbers performance-wise…reliability…and is very consistent…and a good “ride” 😆 😆 :lol:..I’ve never needed to “talk”/brag…about what we accomplished…and are still doing…it’s all quite readily verifiable…and still enough real racers around to confirm those years/cars…I leave the “stories” to those whom need the egotistical re-affirmation…embellishment…to do so… 😆 😆 😆 I hope you can get the car down weight-wise…and if/when your budget allows…power-up…wishing you safe…best of luck…”fun”…no matter what 😆 😆 😆 Drake…p.s….guess there will always be some “de-tractors” (professional jealously?)…U know Dad’s $$$…Al Joniec,Carl Holbrook,Wayne Gapp,Jack Roush,Ed Pink,”Ohio”George Montgomery,”Nazy Crate” hisself…Cohen…Tink Shaefer,Willie Hormorete (a lot of other “locals” over the years Antonne,the Brazees’, Chuck Sabis,Bobby LaRegina,Bobby Lagana,Richie Shott,Bill McGary,Ed Prout… many others too) without ‘dem guys…I never whudda been/done nuttin’…that is 100% correct 😀 😀 😀 …did say…I’m a lucky…very lucky…guy ‘eh!!!…who got to live the “dream”…punchin’ that “dawgie”…often!!!…’eh… 😆 😆 😆 a lil’ “update”…ol’ buddy Paul Adams (trucking magnate) of West Virginia…currently holds NHRA SS/B record with a “psuedo” T-Bolt…@ 8.81 151.48…progress (!) has been made in 35 years ‘eh!!!…there a several new Cobra Jet SS/B Mustangs around the country though…that have run 8.30’s-40’s ez…so the days of the T-Bolt may be numbered as a competitive NHRA Super Stock Car 😥 😥 :cry:…time…technology…moves on…

tomatohead
                                                        Participant

…… “DEAR VINDICATOR”…………………………………… I luv that name “vindicator” its like the “no talking” 😈 of all names ❗ …… its not just number one , but its the one who beat everybody ❗ ………. and yes I have three pedals in MY car 😀 , Ford Top Loader ❗ , …also right now I have “some”power around 460+ hp from the 351 motor so it will do , for now ……………… I also LOVE FE motors ❗ but IF “I” was to get “crazy” it would be a 460 block with a C-4 and I said “IF” I get crazy 😀 ……………………………………… OH almost forgot ❗ 😮 you mentioned “Wille” Hs name AKA “CANDID CAMARO” I used to watch him run at DOVER as much as any of “YOU” guys and you “GUYS” know who you are , and I used to LOVE when “Wille H” used to race against “Wille Burnette” s White 1969 Mach 1 Mustang 428 CJ RAM AIR car !!!! and “DRAKE” I didnt know “Wille H” worked on your car the t bolt and I dont have to tell you I routed for the 428 MUSTANG either 😀 ❗ ❗ ❗ ……………………………. TOMATO ❗

Attachments:

vindicator
                                                            Participant

😀 😀 😀 Hey Tomato…we’re using (for evalutation)…a Roush/Yates used truck motor (358″)…just as raced in Nascar truck series…makes 820 horsepower@9,000rpm (the other Nascar series allow roller cams and make about 920)…we’re using it in a back-half fox body Mustang…just basically bracket racing here in North Carolina…running it “soft” 7200 rpm probably “using” 625-650 hp… been interesting…see these around often @ auctions here for $7-9,000…ain’t cheap…but great components 😀 😀 😀 …there are many ways to “go”… 😆 😆 😆 the “thickness” of the wallet/budget “factor”…always comes into play 😆 😆 😆 …but do believe you could build a very nice big inch 351 shortblock & heads…make 650-680 hp or so…within $5,000 or lil’ less by shopping around… 😀 😀 😀 Drake…Willie was a Chevy guy…for pratical reasons…$$$…availabilty of good quality parts/info…just made (makes) sense…if…a big if…there were no “affiliation” with Ford/my family…I would have been…on the “other” side…the Rye Ford guys…Frank…Willie…Bennie…all truly great guys/good racers…but…on the Cobra Jet cars…it was “Haulin’ Harvey Wilson…in Al Joniec’s (Rice-Holman) former NHRA Winternationals (first ever NHRA National event Ford Super/Stock win…which we sold to Harvey & Linda))…was the baddest “jose”…only “thing” that could beat Harvey…was himself (driving) week in & out… 😆 😆 :lol:…being a Ford fanatic…ain’t such a bad thing!!! 😆 😆 😆 Drake

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 444 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.