HorsePower is Where You Find IT !

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING HorsePower is Where You Find IT !

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 444 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Kevin or Joe…how bad is the damage?

dino
        Keymaster

Kevin told me it needs rods and a crank…something about “over Revin-Kevin”

mikey

Did he miss a gear or what? Doesn’t Kevin use a Rev Limiter, just curious. What a shame. Oh well, pull it apart and put it back together again, practice makes perfect. Can the crank be machined, or is it too bad?? Damn. ………………..Mikey 🙁

babycakes
                Participant

I know Ford Windsor engines can take some high ‘revs’ like Chevy small blocks,to an extent, but ‘Cleveland’ or Modified’ early Ford engines worked on torque ( not rev’s) and remember a ‘few’ that the front of block cracked where the front cover attached, with the 2 bolt mains,over 7g’s abuse. Just my 2 cents worth.I’m not ‘knocking’ Fords! I hope the damage is minimal.

dino
                    Keymaster

Kevin Sent me this explaination:
                        1)…no missed gear-automatic.2)-I use a limiter.3)-Crank is shot 4)-To correct “Babycakes” Clevelands don’t rely on torque what-so-ever…in fact just the opposite. They are made to rev high(Due to enormous valve size) and make considerably less torque than a Windsor. They rely on gearing and H.P. in the upper RPM’s and usually crack in the cylinder walls….no.2 wall to be precise. The problem I had is oiling. I was suppose to run a 3/8 fuel line from the oil front oil port to the rear of the block-which I didn’t. The other issue I had was cam to gear ratio. I installed a cam that only rev’d to 7k and dropped 6 inches on tire rollout. This increased my gear ratio drastically. I was maxxed out in RPM by the 1150ft mark and held it to the floor bouncing it off the limiter of 7400 for 200 ft.-hard to let off and give the stripe up. I have a 7500rpm cam on order with the correct Lift and duration. It should put my car to the 10:50 range(on drum brakes weeee)and give me the cushion in the rpm department…..which 2-bolt Cleves can push 8500rpm with H-beam rods, GIRDLE AND A FILLED BLOCK…….BTW Boss 351 Heads are 219/171……….

mikey

To Kevin. Did not mean to s**t in your Cheerios by asking the questions that I asked. I was just curious, I thought maybe you ran a 4 speed, I don’t know the car at all. I was very curious about the “over reving” comment. I don’t play much with Ford engines other than a street rebuild, never played with cams or stroked cranks. GM, different story, big blocks, small blocks, big strokers, little strokers, I love them Chevys. I hope you get it right this time, so you don’t have to over-rev it. Good luck, and looking forward to hearing good things and seeing a video. …………………Mikey 😆

don-kauer

Unlike Mikey I did not mind s***ting in your Cheerios 🙄 ….I think the comment about the BOW TIES might have swayed my decision…You see, all this stuff was posted about how careful and clean the build was and then the s**t BLOWS UP ❗ ❗ ❗ At the end was your bulls**t about the Chevy guys….Now I don’t like to s**t on the Ford people and as we all know the after market has leveled the playing field so it’s not what is better but the owners of the brand ❗ P.S. Love to my 2 good Ford buddies………..Drake and Jack….(this was not meant for you two)………………Don…

dino
                                Keymaster

Alright Kids Calm Down …ya know with three cars …I’m still not sure which one this is anyway.Does it matter …Things break …Don’t have to get all nasty about it.

tomatohead
                                    Participant

……. OK sorry for the delay , just been busy with everything , so now for my two cents worth 😀 , first of all ,all is fair in love and DRAG RACING ❗ 😀 , so no the motor is not Blown to pieces just spun up the rod bearings and looks like the best we can tell is the oil ( or lack of it ❗ ) wasnt getting back into the pan fast enough , 😡 and the rod bearings will be first to “go” , no it didnt break any rods although I am suprized with all the over 7200 7400 rpm it has been turning ( the rods are “stock” with ARP bolts ) ,also we have only cut the filter open ,to see small pieces of bearing material , 🙁 yes it sucks but this sometimes happens . So we have to pull it apart and see if the crank and rods are still good or not . We will go from there after we see what we got and WHY it failed . So please dont worry we will fix it better then it was and pick up runnin 10.86 and better ,I have more then enough blocks cranks rods and heads to keep “KEVIN REVIN” ❗ ❗ ……….. so as soon as we get it apart I will post some pics I am almost finished with the 347 ci small FORD and then we will be on the “GASSER MUSTANG” ……………………… so the bottom of the cyls need to have a little clearance groove in them where the rod bolt passes so they dont hit ,after this the block is washed and painted and then its time for the cams bearings 😀

Attachments:

dino
                                        Keymaster

I’m getting confused as to what motor, goes in what car . I’ve been relaying info from Kevin on Facebook to here at the Forum. He still can’t remember his password or something…so I message him …he replys and a I copy it here.

tomatohead
                                            Participant

ok some nice FORD BLUE and “pressto” ,then new cams bearings and check fit the new roller cam 😀

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                                Participant

……… OK “DINO” the motor with the “problem” is the red gasser mustang 351C ,this motor is a 347 bored and stroked 302 FORD for his black mustang 😀 , …. ok ❓ got it ❓ get it ❓ … good 😀 ❗

tomatohead
                                                    Participant

…… now we check fit and the new cam bearing tool works prefect ❗ 😀

Attachments:

don-kauer

…………Over and out…… 😕 🙄

dino
                                                            Keymaster
                                                                quote Tomatohead:

……… OK “DINO” the motor with the “problem” is the red gasser mustang 351C ,this motor is a 347 bored and stroked 302 FORD for his black mustang 😀 , …. ok ❓ got it ❓ get it ❓ … good 😀 ❗

What happened to the White one with Blue stripes?

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 444 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.