Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

The damage to my engine is much more serious than I at first thought. After getting the intake and 1 cylinder head off, I found several badly worn roller lifters, and a bad cam lobe. The bad lobe was not the lobe with the broken roller lifter, it was up front on number 2 exhaust. Go figure. When I pulled down some main caps, I found that the crank is not in good shape, and a polish wont fix it, it’ll have to be cut. Rod journals look pretty good, but an 0.10 cut on them will be done too. 2 pretty well scored cylinders, and 2, maybe salvageable, scored piston skirts. So, I have a good crank(after a turn and polish), and a good set of 6″ connecting rods. Also, the Brodix heads look excellent, but I’ll have them checked out too. The block might be able to be cleaned up, and the 2 pistons, maybe. I’m posting some pics of my garage during the engine pull, my friend Jay likes to make my garage look like his. The first few pics are the garage after a “quickie” cleanup, the last few are the “mess”. Thanks, Jay. I will get even, not sure how, but you can count on it. ……………Mikey 😆

Attachments:

mikey

More pics. 😆 I’ve pretty much decided to build a .030 over 350, with 12.5 to 13.0 compression. That little 350 .060 over put almost 380 HP to the rear wheels at 7000 RPM. I don’t think I will lose anything by dropping 5 cubic inches, it will be “fresh”, and all the other problems have pretty much been fixed. Now, it’s just a question of money. Aint it always??
            …………..Mikey 😆

Attachments:

babycakes
            Participant

No more guessing Mikey,once ‘you’ rebuild your engine,no question,’it’ll be right’,and hopefully no more aggravation for you in the future! P.S.,remember-Willys Rule!!!

mikey

Pete, I’ve talked to several people about Freshening up the engine out of the car. If I send out the crank, which I would do anyway, clean the block real good, and clean up the 2 questionable piston skirts, I can put this engine back together fairly inexpensively. My friend Tony Lamb has a new cam, never used, that came in a short block that he bought. it’s mine for $75. and it’s a nice solid roller cam. The most expensive pieces that I need to get are the roller lifters, which I need no matter what, and the new rings and bearings. The cam out of my engine is a Comp Cam, and has a bad lobe, and 3 pretty worn lobes. Funny thing is, the bad lobe is not the one with the broken lifter. The Comp Cam is a 630 lift/274 duration. The cam Tony has is a Lunatti, 602 lift/272 duration. I think if I get a set of 1.6 rockers, I’ll be right back where I need/want to be. All this will allow me to get back to the track, get seat time, make some more chassis adjustments, and go to some “shows”. At the same time, I can save money and gather parts for my new engine. I really think this is the right thing to do, and I’ve talked to Tom Blake, and he agrees. Give me your opinion too. …………….Mikey 😆

masracingtd1167
                    Participant

Hi Mickie In a small block Chevy it is easyer on the valve train to use a higher ratio rocker to get the lift you want so yes you are doing the right thing . As far as lifters go try to find a good lifter Crower makes one of the best.One of the weakest parts in a race motor are the roller lifters and can cause nothing but grief .Jessel makes the absolute best but the price is out of this world about 2000.00dollars .Iput a set of Comp cams lifters in mine and after 5 runs they were shot!I have also heard that Isky red zone lifters are very good they are a roller lifter with no needle bearings .

mikey

Thanks for the info, Billy. I’ve been searching the web, and there are quite a few places that sell the parts I’m looking for. I’m going to “peruse” all the sites, and check quality and price, then make a decision. I’m starting to get really excited about putting the car back together, even if it’s just temporary. I miss the damn thing, and the fun I have with it.
                            ………….Mikey 😆

babycakes
                            Participant

Mikey,your on the ‘right’ track;taking your time,look for ‘quality’ parts,at a ‘good’ price that will work in your engine for dependability and performance,and taking no ‘short-cuts’ during your ‘rebuild’.The reward will be once it’s together and running,that “YOU” know it was done “RIGHT”,and you’ll be a ‘Happy Camper’ once again with your Willys! Keep positive and have fun with your ‘rebuild Mikey!….Pete.

mikey

Went down to Lakeland and picked up the 350, 4 bolt main short block that will be the beginning of my new engine. Nice Sunday evening ride, and I brought my buddy Tony Lamb with me as my “navigator”. The block is probably the only thing that I’ll use, but I’m going to send the crank out to have it checked over. If it’s a good steel crank, which I doubt, I’ll have some work done to it. Pistons and rods will go in the “circular file”. Called Tom Blake while we were in Lakeland, and Tom invited us over for a short “bullshit” session, and we talked for about 45 minutes about all sorts of stuff. Nice visit. Well, gotta go start taking the engine apart. ………………..Mikey 😆

mikey

Well, I’ve decided to just go ahead and build the 383 engine. If I go ahead and do up the old motor, I’ll just be spending the money I need for the 383 engine. I just ordered and received a new Eagle 3.750 crank and all the bearings, and also a new oil pan, pump, and pick-up from M&M Speed. I already bought a new roller cam and a set of 1.6 ratio rocker arms, and I’ll use my good H-beam rods from the old engine, they’re OK. The heads are at the machine shop that I use, and I’m also ordering the correct valve springs for the cam profile that I’m going to use, also taking into consideration, the use of 1.6 ratio rockers. New pistons, rings, and the machine work to the block, and I’ll be back in business!! Jeez, I just love this crap!!
                                        ………………..Mikey 😆

mikey

Update on the engine/engines for the Willy’s.Call from the machine shop, my block is cracked. But, He’s got a real good .030 over block that needs one sleeve, and a hone job. It comes with 12.5 Venolia pistons for the 6″ rods, he will sell me the block and pistons, all machine work done including cam bearings for $350.00. I have my H-beam 6″ rods, and a good 350 crank, cam, new timing chain, oil pump and pick-up, and I’ll get another new oil pan. My other new pan is for a passenger side dip stick, this motor is a drivers side. So, I should be able to assemble this short block for around $450.00, since I’ve also got new rod and main bearings, I will just need some gaskets. The machine shop still has my heads, so I don’t know yet what they will cost me, but I’m happy that things are progressing pretty smoothly so far. Once the engine is together and in the car, I can start saving to put the 383 together. I really want the bigger cubic inches. I will put up some pics when I get all the parts and start the assembly. ……………..Mikey 😆

babycakes
                                            Participant

Hey Mikey,thanks for the update on your powerplant.Your lucky to find another ‘good’ replacement bare block,pistons,and rods at a real decent price! Thank goodness it didn’t thin out your wallet much too much either! Finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel Mikey! Keep it going…..’GOOD LUCK’…and keep us posted as you go along.

mikey

Hi, Pete, thanks for the interest in my engines. I just had so many things on my mind, and several people giving me different opinions, that I got a “brain freeze”!! I’m going to do the 383, but right now it’s on the back burner. This little 355 will get the job done, and the car will probably run faster than before. It will be fresh, where the old 360 was pretty much shot. My fault for wanting the car too badly to thoroughly check it over. I’ve got some of the parts for the 383 already, so i have a head start. But, I just couldn’t pass up this little 355. I also forgot to mention that since it’s going to be really a new engine, it deserves a new crankshaft. So, I just ordered a new Scatt Crank and it will be here Friday, which happens to be my 33rd anniversary. Hope that’s a good omen. I will be able to get some much needed seat time, and work on the cars suspension some more so I will have a good baseline for the bigger engine. I’m not sure if I mentioned this, but I pulled the trans out, and I’m going through it. Trans brake was giving me fits, so I bought a new front pump and decided to take a good look at everything. So far, all looks very good……………Jeez, I just love this crap!!!! …………….Mikey 😮 😯 😆

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Mikey,good to hear your ‘pumped-up’ on your ‘engine ‘ projects! So far,looking good!!! And hey…..have a HAPPY ’33’rd ANNIVERSARY!!!! Pete.

mikey

I need to “vent”, so this will be a “vent post”. I just got the new Scat Crankshaft, and it’s perfect. Shipping charge, $13.99 from JEG’S.( I always check with Rich at M&M before calling anyone else) As I was going over all the parts that I’ve acquired for my 383 engine, which for now is on the back burner, I was checking the Eagle Crank over and noticed that it was not the one that I wanted, I was off by 2 numbers. No problem, right? I’ll just pack it up, and send it back, get a credit, and buy the correct crank in the future when I’m ready to build the 383. UPS charged me $44.95 with $4.00 to insure it. Why is it 3 times more to send it back?? OK, I vented. My fault for not checking it out sooner. But, I’ve ordered the wrong thing before a couple of times and it was close on the shipping. Must be the weight plus the dimensions I guess. Oh well, coulda’ used that $44.95 for some other parts, lesson learned. If it happens again, I’ll blame it on the guy that took my order, and they can pay the shipping!! ……………………….Mikey 😆

P.S. Just want to make the point that I always check with Rich before I order from another “source”. Rich will either tell me he can match, or beat “the others”, or to go ahead and get what I need. Perfect example: my oil pan, oil pump, pick up, and oil pan gasket. M&M was able to beat all prices by a significant dollar amount. Please guys, don’t ever think that I just go around M&M!. NOT HAPPENING!!!! 🙂 😀 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

tomblake
                                                            Participant

Jegs has always been very good about returning items for us. A phone call to them requesting a call tag may have worked, possibly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.