Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I tried that, it didn’t work. It won’t happen again. If they don’t “fix” this, I’ll start buying from Summitt, they also offer a Racers Discount. ………………Mikey 👿

babycakes
        Participant

That away Mikey!!!!! STICK TO YOUR GUNS and good luck!

mikey

Got the trans back together today, but it felt funny. I decided to pull it apart again, glad that I did. I pulled the pump out, and the plates and clutch discs right there looked perfect. Front small drum with the shaft, perfect. Rear drum, quick look, good. Decided to pull it apart and look at all the plates and discs. Key word being “ALL”! I had a heck of a time getting the snap ring out of the drum, finally took a hammer and an old screwdriver and finally it came out like a bat outa’ hell! I still haven’t found it! As I started to remove the plates and discs, the first couple were OK, but the deeper I got, they started to look “dished”, or con-caved. Whoever did the trans added another, or “extra” disc. They evidently had to use a small press to get the snap ring on. I think that the clutch set-up in that condition would allow the car to “creep” when the trans brake was applied, even with good line pressure. Well, I’ll have the new parts Monday afternoon, and I’ll get it together Monday night after work. Hope to have my block home by the middle of the week. All the “internals” are home, Scat crank, my 6″ H-beam rods, and the Venolia pistons that came with the block. I probably should send the rotating assembly out to be balanced, even though the pistons and rods were already done. You just never know, and the way my luck has run, I better do it!! As I get going on the engine and things, I’ll post some pics of the progress. Tom Blake will probably be racing his 55 Chev before I even get my friggin’ trans in!! 😮 😯 ………………..Mikey 😆 😆 😆

tomblake
                Participant

Easy mikey…..We both have a long way to go but I think you will be driving the Willis long before the 55 is finished. You seem to be doing all the right things to make the Willis right this time. Just keep up the good steady work progress like you have been doing. Before you know it we will both be done and racing again.
                    We will be able to have a big celibration at the 4th Dover race just for the hard work we will have accomplished. 🙂
                    PS: Good find on the trans before putting it back in the car.

babycakes
                    Participant

Hey Mikey,as they say with ‘Hot Rods’,always expect the unexpected! Both you and Tom will have peace of mind and confidence knowing your ‘making it right’,to the best of your ability,rather than ‘rush’ through assembly,and later on,regret failures you could have prevented.I admire the approach both of you guys are taking; thanks once again for you and Tom sharing you progress…..Pete 💡 😀

mikey

OK!! Got the trans back in the car today with the help of my friend Jay. I cleaned and painted it nice and pretty, gloss black, just like Tom Blakes rear end. 😀 I am posting some pictures of the painted trans, and some of the parts I found that were shot. 😯 I’m going to take all the parts that need to be balanced for my engine to the machine shop this week so they can send them to Orlando to be balanced. 😮 After paying whatever that will cost, about $220. or so, the only things left will be the heads, gaskets, and new roller lifters, I think. 🙄 Oh well, it’s only money, but it sure would be nice if I had some!! 😆 ………………Mikey 😆

Attachments:

babycakes
                            Participant

Mikey,’trans.’ looking good both inside and out now! What ‘brand’ of trans. fluid do you use? High performance,or just plain G.M. brand,perhaps with an additive ? …Pete 🙄

mikey

I was thinking about Royal Purple Synthetic, but I just don’t know. I’m open to suggestions for the trans fluid. Synthetic, or mineral, Dextron, Type F, I’m not sure. The trans did have Royal Purple Synthetic in it before. I think a fluid that’s a little thicker, or more viscosity will work better, but again, I’m just not sure. Help me out here, guys.
                                    ………………….Mikey 😕 🙄

tomblake
                                    Participant

Mikey….We have used the Type F for many years. Last year we asked the same question about what fluid to use, we were told by the guy I get my trans parts from, the best was the Dextron Synthetic.
                                        We used it for a short while without seeing any differance except the much higher cost. We went back to the Type F in both the powerglide and the turbo 400.

mikey

Tom, thanks for the input. Type F is the way I’ve been leaning, not just cost-wise, but the higher viscosity should help keep pressures higher and trans temps lower.
                                            …………Mikey 😆

P.S. Are we having fun yet?? 🙄

lee-valentine

For a cool running and consistant ET;s use synthetic. Lee.

mikey

Lee, thanks for the input. I still have not really made up my mind, but I will probably start off with type-F, make maybe a dozen or so passes, then dump the fluid and the filter and refill it (trans) with a good Synthetic to see if there is any difference in performance, or trans temps. As they say, we will see. …………….Mikey 😆

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Hey Mikey,what’s the latest ‘poop’ on your Willys ‘rebuilding’ driveline project? Are ya gaining or waiting for parts (or like us all, trying to make the funds ‘stretch’ a bit more) ? Between you and Tom,along with the warm weather we’ve been getting here up north,it’s getting us ‘pumped’ on your ‘projects,wanting to go drag racing already!!! You and Tom keep the ‘spirit’ and ‘hard-working’ going!!!! 😀 ….Pete.

mikey

Well, Pete, I finally got my block back from the machine shop, just waiting for all the internals to come back from Orlando where they are being balanced. Tomorrow, I’m going to “fit” the oil pump to the rear main cap, and check the clearance from the pick-up to the oil pan. Then I’ll give it a good soap and water wash job just to make myself happy. As soon as I “blow-dry” the block, I’ll give it an oil-down on the cylinder walls, main journals, and cam bearings. After that, it will get “bagged” until all the internal parts get here. I’m going to try to take pictures of all the steps, including the wash and oil down. Once I start the assembly, I’ll take some shots of each step, like “plastigageing” the rods and mains, checking the end gap on the rings, and degreeing in the cam, etc. I hope to have the crank and stuff back by the middle or the end of next week. After I get the short-block assembled and bagged, I’ll just be waiting for the heads to be finished. Then, I will finally buy a set of roller lifters to finish the job. I sometimes think that this is the most expensive “cheap” motor that I’ve ever built. I’ll add it all up after it’s done, and you guys can “critique” my expenditures.(tell me if you think I spent too much, or did good for what I got). …………….Are we having fun yet??????…………………………Mikey 😆

lee-valentine

Smart move don,t add up the bucks spent until your done. There is less chance of you coming to your senses and quitting. Good Luck with your engine.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.