Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Thanks Mikey for the ‘updated’ progress,and I agree with Lee’s theory,keep it going!!! 🙄

mikey

I think Lee is right, I better not add it all up just yet. OK, here are some pictures of the “soap and water” wash job, test fitting the oil pump, and oiling down all the cylinders, main journals and cam bearings. After finishing the cleaning and oiling, I installed the restriction plugs in the rear cam oil galleries, and I put 2 radiator “pet cocks” in the block instead of the 1/4″ plugs. I really like some of the work that was done on this block, like the little screens in the oil return holes, and the plugs in the lifter gallery oil holes. I also like the main bearing caps being held by studs instead of the normal bolts, and the front and rear caps have been machined down to accept steel billet plates for added strength. I put the oil pump on, bolted it down, then put the one piece pan gasket and the pan on, and I put the bolts in all 4 corners just snug/tight. I’ve got about 1/4″ to about 5/16″ clearance from the pick-up to the pan. I think that’s pretty good. ……………..Mikey 😆

Attachments:

mikey

Damn thing won’t let me put the last one or two pics. Here they are. 👿 😥 Hope you guys like the pictures, I figured looking at them is better than watching paint dry, or watching the snow melt. 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 :lol:……………….. Mikey

Attachments:

babycakes
                Participant

Ah….the patient (engine block) all ‘prepped for major surgery by none other than Doctor Mikey,to restore it’s ‘heartbeat’! 😆 😆 😆 Seriously Mikey….NICE!

mikey

I really wasn’t sure about posting the pictures, but I figured why not. I’ll keep you posted on my progress, and put up some pictures as I start the build.
                        ………………..Mikey 😆

P.S. Glad it’s keeping some of you occupied and out of trouble. 😀

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

Hey Mikey, Keep those pictures coming along with your progress reports.
                            You and Tom Blake are keeping all our spirits up. It’s nice to see the play
                            by play on both of your projects…. 😆 Oh yeah, Hi Cassey ❗ ❗ 😎

Frank…

mikey

Nice to hear from you, Frank. Hope all is well. I’ll tell Cass that you said hi. Glad you like the picks and the play by play, it’s fun to keep you guys up to date. I’m also doing a little suspension work in between the engine and trans work. I fabricated a set of ball joint spacers for the car, and I’m extending the top of the front shock mounts downward the same distance as the thickness of the spacers. Hopefully this will keep my geometry close to what it was before, with a little adjustability. We shall see.
                                …………..Mikey 😆

staying-alive

Mickey and Tom I admire racers who will go over and beyond to keep us Dummy’s thinking of what we could do next to keep up with you guys and your cars. Keep up with the progress that you guys are making and continue sending the pictures they are great.

mikey

Well, the weekend is here, and no internal parts!! My Machine Shop called the Balancer’s Shop, all my stuff is done, but the guy closed up shop, and went to Daytona for Bike Week. He only has an Answering Service that has specific answers for certain customers. My Machine Shop is angry, and I’m also angry and disappointed. I feel like I lost the weekend. …………………… 😥 😥 👿 👿

babycakes
                                        Participant

Mikey,use plan ‘B’,Relax…take a break…and a ‘chill pill’,gather up the grand children,and make it a day with them instead! 🙄 ❓

mikey

Yea, Pete, I did some of that today, then after supper, I went out in the garage and worked on my “ball joint spacers”, and extending the top coil -over shock mounting brackets down by 1 1/2″. I want to raise the front ride height, but I also want to keep the geometry close to what it was, plus, the spacers will give me a quicker lift on acceleration. Of course, this is just “Mikey theory”, if it works, I’m a “genius”, if it don’t, you guys will never know !!! Pictures of my “experiment” in a couple of days.
                                                …………………..Mikey 😯 😮 🙄 😆 😆 😆 😆
                                                So, I lied, pictures now. I now have to take the shock back off and make spacers for the bolts to center the shocks in the brackets. Then, I have to clean up my welds on the shock brackets and paint them. Hey, Dino, how are your eyes now ??

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

green hurts my eyes -can’t read

mikey

Dino, I like the green. I like to post in green sometimes when I’m talking about my car. It’s the E-85, it makes my car a Hybrid!! Burns E-85, and rubber!!! ………..Ah,hahahahahahaha.
                                                        I did put some pictures on my previous post of my spacers and brackets. …………………..Mikey 😆

mikey

Well, I got my internal parts back from the balancing shop today. First thing on the list was to clean all the parts. Next, put in the rear main seal and the upper main bearings with assembly lube, and then gently set the crank in position. Then, plastigage on the lower cap bearings, install and torque them down. Looks good, I’ve got .002-.003. Clean off the bearings put some assembly lube on them, put the caps back on and torque them down. Next, check the ring end gaps, top ring is .019-.0215 and the second ring is .020-.022. looks good. I then assembled #2 piston, rod, and pin, 4 “spiral-locs” per piston(“I hate those things”). Put the assembly in the cylinder and checked the oil clearance at the rod bearing, same as the mains at .002-.003. I was going to see if I could get all the even cylinders done, but the damn ring compressor broke. Tomorrow, a new one! Here are some pictures. I’ll probably need 2 posts because it won’t let me do more than 4 or 5 at a time. ………………..Mikey 😆

Attachments:

mikey

Yup, had to make another post 😀

Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.