THE LITTLE GIANT Remains lost…..

Forums Forums OLD RACE CAR LOCATOR THE LITTLE GIANT Remains lost…..

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Boy do I miss seeing the ‘Little Giant’ run! That was like the ‘mascot’ of Dover,back in the early and mid 60’s.I only wish it could be found in salvageable condition for George and Joe Brazee.

maso
        Participant

I think that the only hope for recovering the Little Giand is for somebody to make a recreation of it and that woulld not be difficult.

Alterds are simple enough.

If somebody, like Chuck Sablis could foward to me the exact dimentions and specifications of the Brazee brother’s chassis as it was constructed then I could do a shop drawing of it with my AutoCAD. I could do a three dimentional in both perspective and isometric and plans and elevation views that will print out or plot out. All I need is simple sketches of it. I have done lots of stuff like this before and I can prove myself.

We could take that and break it down into it’s components, cut the pieces, weld them up and with a Crawsley body in sound contition, after that everything else comes right off the shelf.

Attn: Bobby Schlegal… Are you interested…??? Hummm…? 😀

Think it over, I’m standing by.

patina
            Participant

A picture probably not seen by many here is on HAMB; Re: CROSLEYS- Mild to Wild #172. I think it’s Indy.

Pat

babycakes
                Participant

Question: Did George sell the ‘Little Giant’ as a ‘roller’,and use the engine in the ‘rail’ he and Ziggy put together afterwards?

dino
                    Keymaster

V-BOB…sounds like a doverCSI for YOU!

dino
                        Keymaster

FRED HARRISON JUST CALLED FROM TEXAS….!I took 4 pages of notes…So Here Goes…First He is dispelling some things that were incorrect. Somehow the word Harrison is shown on a photo on the roof.THAT was Never on the car.He Owned the Business and says someone “added” that in the photo. He always gave credit to George And “Ziggy” Sabis. Hence the only lettering changes were always in keeping The Little Giant Legacy and Brazee & Sabis. He did change the Watertown Customs Racing Team on the Rear to “Little Giant” racing Team. Now about Fiberglass or carbon fiber- NO.The Hood and fenders were changed by George after he wheelstanded at Island. Thats when the Bent axle was replaced with the CAE Chrome one. Heres the story….Fred Sold it to a guy named Butch Gammon…that you can see on some photos. He went to Lebanon a lot with it and got Fred to go sometimes and help. He had changed things around motor wise and it never had that ‘Combination” again. couldn’t get it out of the 11’s. See …Fred exploded the ‘Good combination” motor, George had always used ,at Dover. It then was sold by Gammon to a guy with a Gas station-country store ,that no longer exists in north side of Torrington ,who painted it “Shell Yellow” Fred discovered it there,struck up a freindship,and tryed to help them.They couldn’t even start it. Fred fixed the Distributor,and relates, they took it to parking lot,it wheelstanded bad,cause they didn’t have the wheely bars on and ….Broke the front axle-bent the frame and did some other damage. He has a lead on this last owner HE knows and is attemping to track the guy down.Then we all may know where or what happened ‘next’.Fred got the car in ’66 ,just as ‘ziggy’ was drafted to Nam. He ran it at Dover & Lebanon. Howie liked the car so much he let him in Free…why he went there .With George’s “good Combination” motor it ran consistant 10:60′ at 130 mph. Fred liked to ‘run it out the back door’ to get the best Mph.And the Story goes on….stand by for next chapter.

Attachments:

dino
                            Keymaster

Gonna go out on a limb here and show you another T.O”Shea shot from same day as earlier posted.Says HARRISON , plain as day on the roof.( See last Post)These are from Terry’s original UNaltered Negatives, just how we found them.Terry couldn’t have added the name…no programs back then to do it and why? I’m a lettering guy…thats same lettering -hand done in both shots. Will be talking to Fred about this.photo about 1967.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                Participant

WOW!!! some history story of the “Little Giant’ from Fred Harrison Dino! Good possibility it may be still ‘alive’! Perhaps in a regular barn,poll barn,or gathering dust in a garage perhaps? Wait’ll George and Joe hear about this!!! There’s alot of us ODF’s would LOVE to see it again all restored (like Roger C. did to Charlie’s C/ALT. ‘Bad News’). Here again,’if it’s found’,and most important,salvageable.Just hearing about it gets you excited; for those of you ‘ole’ timers who remember,once again I say,it was like the ‘mascot’ of Dover’s early days,there just about every Sunday,with George tearing up the 1/4! 😮 😀

dino
                                    Keymaster

Fred also said he’s got a pile of photos…Got his # and WILL stay in touch.

dino
                                        Keymaster

Fred just checked in again…Said He had a long visit on phone with George.They can’t agree just who changed the hood & fenders…its a Geezer standoff…”You Did it …No you did it”. Also Did Recall taking it to a Old school sign painter who took off ‘Brazee’ and put on ‘Harrison’. Said the guy was into the Wild Turkey with every other brush stroke. Fred’s quite a guy …back up to 82,.he ran a Nostalgia 96′ Sportster Drag Bike .He’s now ready to drop a 350 into his 31 Modal A Pick-up street rod.. That will replace the Overhead Cam Pinto motor. He’s in a hot section of Texas,that is in an 8 year dought.Still working with a person in ‘law enforcement’ to track down final 4th owner .It Was George And ‘Ziggy” …Then Fred…then Gammon..then the “don’t remember his name ” guy. They have found the guys last address ..but the trail stops there. He Added, “We’re going to find the end of this story” Tune in again Fans to the “Wheres The Little Giant” story. 😉

dino
                                            Keymaster

Fred said any shot with a 57 chevy push car is his . So I found one

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                Participant

Boy Dino,any photos that appear of the ‘Little Giant’,gets the ‘ole’ heart pumping,even me,a Willys gasser nut! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

dino
                                                    Keymaster

We have more stuff about the Little Giant in other topics…Put ‘giant’ in search feature….Heres one:
                                                        http://www.doverdragstrip.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=642&hilit=giant

dino
                                                        Keymaster

In Related News…Found This on Drag Junk…I’D ‘negotiate’…frame- funky long ,wide rear and without motor ? NOT THE LITTLE GIANT ,but Could be a neat start of a clone! Bunch of you in Ct-N.Y. go in on it together! could make ‘early version’ with full hood -Fenders…Brazee style.

1948 Crosley “STEEL” Altered drag car Custom chassis.Low budget drag car,low maintenance hot rod.355 Chevy 11-1 comp pistons,balanced.Hughes Power glide 3800 ati stall,9″ Ford rear 4:11 Gears ,Rack&pinion steering, 11 foot wheelbase.30×11.5=15 rear slicks,skinnys in the front.Front disc brakes,drum rear brakes,Holley carb.
                                                            Make Offer 315-506-2850 $6500
                                                            Trades ACCEPTED: Ratrod ,Harley , What do you have ?? Cash works the best !!
                                                            Item Location: CICERO, NY

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                            Participant

A good candidate for a ‘clone’ Dino.A narrowed quick change rear,extend the front end nose; a spacer block,and friction shocks on the front ‘buggy’ spring,along with a little lipstick and makeup to finish it off,and wah-lah there you have it,’Little Giant’ 2 !!! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.