55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    mikey

Tom, if there’s anything I can do to help out, let me know. I’m not that far away. …………………Mikey 😆

tomblake
        Participant

Got most of the car back home today. Left the hood to have a scoop installed and the window inserts to have the wing windows and lexan installed. The wing windows will actually work like the old 55 and will be a good place for stickers.
            It is good to get back to work on the car again, feels like it was gone for a long time. Got the driver side door fitted and started working on the passenger side. The driver side came out pretty good but it was a lot of work to get it fitted to the door opening. The fenders were extended and they are a lot longer than I expected, where they were short by 3 to 4″ they are now longer by 5 to 6″. The fiberglass is flying like snow up north in the winter.

Attachments:

don-kauer

Tom ………….Keep up the pics ….I’m really enjoying the 55 build….Great job my man 😎 😀 Don…

dino
                Keymaster

QUOTE:
                    “We do plan to make it look like the old gasser including paint and graphics. Looking for some of the old decals, STP, Champion, NHRA and Sunoco. It will not be a clone with this car having a tube chassis but will try to make the body look the same cosmetically on the outside”

Jim At http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com
                    Nostalgic Racing Decals
                    637 Sedgewick Way Palm Harbor, Fla. 34683
                    Sales (727) 455-6141

mailto: nostalgicracing@gmail.com

said he has all you need “we can Hook Him Up” Hey…he’s a Conn. Guy originally and now in Florida….Just like You.

mikey

Looking super, Tom. I’ve got to take a ride down and get a first hand look one of these days. ……………Mikey 😆

tomblake
                        Participant

Mikey….stop by any time. Some times the shop is a mess but we are working.

tomblake
                            Participant

Rained all day with tropical storm Debby in the Gulf. That helped fill the shop with fiberglass dust, like snow in the winter except it was hot, very hot. But between the dust mask, the goggles and long sleeve shirt we did get the body pretty much together.
                                We got the passenger door trimmed and fit. Than we worked on the fenders. Mary had an old trick she learned while working on aircraft with Piper Aircraft. She marked up the matching points of the overlapped fenders to the doors, than I was able to trim the fenders in a much shorter time than it would have taken me without her help.
                                The body work is not great but it will get us by till the body work project becomes the high priority for next year.
                                The latches will be the next area to work on. Made a template and marked the passenger side door for a starting point.

Attachments:

mikey

Really starting to look like a race car now. good luck with the door latches, they can really be a pain. ………………..Mikey 😆

tomblake
                                    Participant

Mikey…..you are right about the latches being a pain. Took a break from that task, what a pain. I am on my third template and still not happy. The fiberglass doors and the original doors are not the same for making templates. I will get it done but at the expense of a whole day, and maybe the night.
                                        Well back to it, will post the results later.

tomatohead
                                        Participant

….TOM my two cents worth is you car is lookin’ great 😀 ❗ ….too say the “leased” yea I know I think I spelt “leased” wrong 😀 😆 ……. but really I think what is cool is did you EVER think you would have a car like this when you first starting racing ❗ 😀 …… like I said you car is COOL ….see you at the race …………………….. joe 😀

tomblake
                                            Participant

Took most of the day but the passenger door has a working latch. Started the driver door and it is different than the passenger door, has a indentation in the fiberglass for a roll bar where the latch mechanism goes. We went to the fiberglass parts to avoid the body work on the steel parts but looks like there is more work in the fiberglass parts. Don’t mind the work but it is eating up time and time is getting short. Only 46 days to the 4th race.

Joe…I knew I was hooked when I took the original 55 to Dover for the first time and came home with a trophy. Race cars have been a big part of my enjoyment. So I guess the answer to your question would be yes.

Attachments:

tomblake
                                                Participant

Got the latch in the driver side door done. Than got the latches working from the inside as well as the outside. Brackets for the radiator and a shelf for the MSD started.

Attachments:

dino
                                                    Keymaster

Can you drive it around yet?

mikey

Looking good, Tom. Are you gonna do the old “hide the stuff in the glove box” again?? 😀 Just kidding …………Dino, I don’t think that it runs or moves on it’s own yet, although I could be wrong. …………………Mikey 😆

tomblake
                                                            Participant

Dino….Should be able to drive the 55 in about a week. Holding off putting fuel in the car till the floors are welded in place and that should be done later this week.

Mikey……No glove box in this car. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.