55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

We made it to Lebanon Valley this afternoon late. Rained almost all the way, but we made it.
        Checked out the drifters and the 55 dosen’t do well 😆 😆

vbob
        Participant

HEY
            Tom good to hear your in town!!!
            NO SNOW in the forecast!

tomblake
            Participant

We are back home after the 4th race – Thursday 8/16/12

Two pictures:
                12/13/11 Picking up the 55 Chevy in North Carolina
                08/14/12 Returning from the 4th Dover race stopped at the same place
                Eight months and one day after picking up the 55 Chevy we returned to the same place in front of Walmart in NC on our way home from Lebanon Valley.

Attachments:

tomblake
                Participant

Made a short summary of this adventure, the re-creation of an old dream.

12/13/11 Picked up the 55 Chevy in NC
                    12/14/11 Started disassembly
                    12/27/11 Cut the wheel well (Like Casey’s)
                    02/28/12 Engine and trans installed for fit
                    01/17/12 Car taken to Media blast and stripped
                    01/31/12 Etch prime the body
                    02/02/12 New front brakes and front suspension
                    02/07/12 Sheet metal panels made for floor & firewalls
                    02/15/12 Rear end housing removed for clean, paint and new center section
                    02/21/12 Rear end complete & ready to install
                    02/24/12 Rear end and rear suspension installed
                    03/13/12 Trunk about complete and painted
                    04/24/12 Start to weld floor and wirewall panels in place
                    04/28/12 Headers welded
                    05/03/12 New coated headers installed
                    05/10/12 Got the fiberglass front end
                    05/09/12 Water pump, front distributor and alternator installed
                    05/14/12 Fuel system in place
                    05/19/12 Engine and trans removed to complete work on both
                    05/31/12 Engine and trans installed to stay
                    06/07/12 Fitting front end and hood – wiring started
                    06/13/12 Car taken to fab shop for hanging doors & extending front fenders
                    06/23/12 Car back home and starting to fit doors
                    06/30/12 Radiator installed
                    07/01/12 First paint added to the body
                    07/10/12 Rear bumper added and painted
                    07/13/12 Basic body painted
                    07/15/12 Start to install windows
                    07/17/12 First graphic added to the car & all the windows are in
                    07/20/12 Hood and front end are painted
                    07/21/12 Al the graphics are added and the front bumper painted
                    07/24/12 New fuel pump installed
                    07/29/12 The car is ready to load on trailer for the trip north
                    08/08/12 Finish assembling the car in Connecticut at my son Ronny’s place
                    08/10/12 Arrive at Lebanon Valley NY
                    08/11/12 First two times the car goes down any dragstrip
                    08/12/12 Made several adjustments & make six more runs on the track
                    08/14/12 Picture same spot as it was picked up 8 months & 1 day later

babycakes
                    Participant

Tom,I not only speak for myself,but for other ODF members; THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing the build of your 55 Chevy “ODD JOB” from the start.As the ‘project’ progressed,I couldn’t wait to see all the updates you performed on either a daily or weekly basis.Like an ‘ole’ timer like you,this is what keeps the ‘heartbeat’ going!I sincerely enjoyed every step of the way,and appreciate it very much Tom for sharing.Pete.

tomblake
                        Participant

Pete……Thanks for the comments. Met lots of guys and gals at the track that stopped by to say they were following along as the postings were added. I got to say it was postings and PM’s like yours that sure helped me get the 55 to Lebanon Valley. It was a lot of work but it was fun for me to get there at all.
                            Thinking back several miracles happened to even get the project started. Mary found the car in New York to start with, Cheryl’s daily shop visits and picture taking, the help along the way, like Bobby coming to do the welding, Keith making the graphics, Mary sealing the inside and making the carpet, Rich helping get some of the parts, the inspiration from many of the ODF’s on the site, Dino and Brian for the pictures and the site, Pat sending decals and several parts and my son Ronny driving me to make sure he had me to race for the fourth time in our history. Seems like the list goes on and on.
                            I have been asked if I built the car myself. As you can see from the list above, it would not have been done at all if it wasn’t for friends and family. Thank you everyone above and anyone I may not have included by name on the list.

mikey

Tom, thank YOU, for providing some interesting things for all us O.D.F.s to follow. We all, at one time or another have projects, but yours and Marys was by far the most interesting and well documented of all. Great job, and I hope to see you guys soon. ………………….Mikey 😆

tomblake
                                Participant

Things slowed down since the race is over but not stopped. We have started back working on the 55. Changed the rear end gears, changed the rear coil springs to a heaver set. Working on increasing the rear ride height to fit the slicks on the back and modify the crossbar to make the car more stable.
                                    Than we are going to make the car street legal. That means all the street wiring for headlights, tail lights, signals, horn etc. Exhaust, have the tubing but it needs to be fitted and cut. The exhaust will be 4″ from the headers to the rear bumper.

babycakes
                                    Participant

Thanks for the update Tom. You’ve certainly have your work cut out to make it street ‘legal’,lots of wiring for sure! Please keep us posted with your progress,appreciated it!

tomblake
                                        Participant

Got the 4″ exhaust under the 55. Have temporary clamps holding the exhaust system in place while I fabricate some perminate clamping. Started it up with the straight pipes, the sound is the same as with open headers except the noise comes out the back of the car. Than I tried the old super comp mufflers at the end of the pipes. Still loud but sounds like a couple of 60’s steel pac mufflers. This is going to be a fun street car. 😀

Attachments:

babycakes
                                            Participant

Got to love it Tom…’American Thunder’ sounds!

tomblake
                                                Participant

Couple of pictures of the almost completed 4″ exhaust system on the 55.
                                                    The slicks are mounted and almost ready to test the car soon.

Attachments:

don-kauer

Looks great Tom…… 🙂

babycakes
                                                        Participant

I agree 100% with Don,nice job Tom!

mikey

Looks real good, Tom. We need to make a date to meet at Lakeland, or maybe Bradenton, although it’s a pretty long tow for me. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.