55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Pat,the neighborhood ‘rooster’ around Tom’s house is a bit ‘hot’,stating Tom gets him up ‘too’ early to start crowing!

tomblake
        Participant

Pat….Sleep, what is that? 😆

I went to a graduation for my grandson a while back. I remember a speaker talking about life and his comment stuck with me ever since. His comment was;
            “Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer to the end the quicker it goes.”

Trying to use the paper up before the end, when ever that happens.

There was another thing I tried to live by and that was;
            When I get old and I am sitting on the porch.
            I don’t want to say I wish I had tried this or that.
            I would rather be saying I did this and that.

Think that’s where drag racing, motocross racing, flying and traveling came from. It has been fun so far and I don’t want it to end anytime soon.

dino
            Keymaster

Hey ! I get double ply..it lasts longer!

tomblake
                Participant

The link below was the 1st test run at Lakeland 9/29/12.
                    It was video taped from the back of the car so you can hear the muffled sound of the new exhaust system. 🙂

Dino….double ply on order.

mikey

Tom, the car sounds great, but you sure do have a slip going on somewhere. …………………Mikey 😮 😯 😆

tomblake
                        Participant

Mikey……You are correct about the slipping. Drained the fluid, never smelled fluid this bad. Trans not apart yet but will be tomorrow. Pulled the trans and converter out from inside the car using a cherry picker and a strap, never did it like that before but easier than from the bottom. Made a fixture that will attach to the cherry picker for installing the trans, it is made to balance the trans and converter level for easier installation.
                            It looks like the converter failed by the looks of the fluid, fluid clean but burned and no pieces, so far.

Attachments:

mikey

Yup, sure sounds like the convertor took a dump. You better ck out the pump too. Never hurts to look at everything, since it’s out of the car. 😀 How did you make out with the rear end assembly. Did the “shop” do the job, or just pressing bearings?? ………………….Mikey 😆

tomblake
                                Participant

Transmission looks very good inside, no sign of slipping clutches or any other damage. Re-assembled the trans and installed one of the race converters with “0” time since overhaul. Put the trans and converter back in the car. Need to finish the details tomorrow. Replacing the trans from the inside works out pretty nice, much easier than doing it from the bottom.
                                    Mikey….The rear center section was assembled at the shop in Lakeland. They were trying to remove a spacer that was not made to be removed. That spacer increased the diameter of the pinion shaft to accept the bigger bearing. Did get the gears changed from the 4.57 to the 3.70 and that is what’s in the car now.

dino
                                    Keymaster

Toms 2 am report…does this guy ever sleep? 😯

bossguy

Maybe there are 2 Toms? One sleeps while the other works? 😆

mikey

I think Tom and Mary sleep in shifts. He sleeps, she posts, then vice versa. 😆

tomblake
                                                Participant

Mikey…..this time your wrong, she sleeps for both of us.

Transmission and converter in place. Installed a trans cooler today. Making a few more modifications to make it easier to remove and install the transmission. Making an acess panel to check the trans fluid and making the seat removal easier also. I like the transmission change from inside the car, much easier than from the bottom

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Tom,ever think of adding a trans. temp. gauge? Also,do you use regular G.M. trans. fluid, or racing trans. fluid? Just curious 🙄 Pete.

tomblake
                                                        Participant

Pete….Thought about a trans gage but never got to it. A friend stopped by this afternoon and asked the same question. It could tell before the failure was real bad but it wouldn’t stop a converter from failing. In this and the last failed converter it appears the vanes folded over. I guess that only because there is not pieces just burned fluid and poor performance when it starts to fail.
                                                            Fluid – have used Type F fluid with pretty good luck. Tried synthic for a while but seemed like the cost was the only difference.

dino
                                                            Keymaster

you’re Up at 4 ? go to bed !

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.