55 E/G – New old ride

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING 55 E/G – New old ride

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,035 total)
  • Author
    babycakes
    Participant

Nice Tom,thanks for sharing! Pete.

tomblake
        Participant

Distributor problem fixed. Installed an MSD magnetic pickup distributor. It fired up and ran from the first try. Now we can run on the crank trigger or the distributor. The distributor has a mechanical advance to make the car a little more streetable.

babycakes
            Participant

A big ‘AMEN’ to that Tom! Now,what do we move to next ‘project’ on it Tom? 🙄 😕 😀

tomblake
                Participant

Pete…..Still working the headlight installation, the holes are about right but still looking for a good way to attach the steel headlight buckets into the fiberglass nose so the light direction is not too far off.
                    Another project I want to do is to install a tilt steering wheel column. Main reason for the tilt column is to locate the start on the wiring. The tilt column will have the plug connections for the signal lights, flashers and horn. The wiring harness I have is made to plug into a Chevy column. This is another project I have never done, any suggestions from anyone here would be great.

babycakes
                    Participant

Tom,any ‘street-rod’ 55-57 Chevy’s that you know of,or perhaps seen at a local car show,or hangout that has a ’tilt’ steering column ‘conversion around your area,that can walk you through,or perhaps (if lucky) have a schematic laying around to tackle you through this wiring project? It sure is gonna be a time consumer and a ‘head-scratcher’ without someone’s knowledge that’s been there-done that! Good luck Tom! 🙄 😕

mikey

Tom, maybe Rich from M&M has some written info on the tilt column stuff. Give him a call. You just never know, with all the G-Body stuff he does. 😕 😆

tomblake
                            Participant

Got the headlights in place. Looking more like a street car.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                Participant

Nice fit Tom,looking GOOD!!! 💡

mikey

Looks good, Tom. Also glad that you gave M&M a call on the steering column. I’m pretty sure they can help you out. 😆

dino
                                        Keymaster

Now how ’bout those ‘signature’ ’55 turn signals…even if they arn’t functional?…had them on the original.

tomblake
                                            Participant

Dino…..The signal lights may go on later, like the original car. But for starters the headlight bulbs do have a separate bulb (city light bulb) inside the headlight assembly that will be the signal light.

Attachments:

dino
                                                Keymaster

Sweet….you are quite the creative one. What kind of “vehical Inspection” will you have to do to be street legal…Wipers -HORN ? and I guess you don’t have emissions check in Florida ????

tomblake
                                                    Participant

One of the great things about Florida is, no more inspections, they stopped them years ago. There are laws that apply and you still need all the stuff on the vehicle like lights, signals, horn etc. but no annual inspections. What a good place to live and the dragstrips are open all year round.

babycakes
                                                        Participant

Tom,no doubt,’you got your cake,and eat it too’!!! What a nice feeling no ‘hot-rod’ hassell’s to deal with!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀

mikey

That’s what’s nice about registering my car with a “Horseless Carriage” plate. All I need are head and tail lights, and some type of brake lights. No horn, or signals. I still need some “street tires” for when I decide to go somewhere, not far with only a 5 gallon tank. I’ll have to price some rims with the correct offset, and some legal tires if I decide to pursue driving it on the street. ………………..Mikey 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,035 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.