Who’s on line? the DAILY ‘CHAT’ that never ends

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Who’s on line? the DAILY ‘CHAT’ that never ends

Viewing 15 posts - 2,986 through 3,000 (of 7,852 total)
  • Author
    patina
    Participant

This from June 20-26 issue of Northern Dutchess news at http://www.sdutchessnews.com Another picture shows Patsy Judson with her Hemi Dodge and trophy. I have the print version with pictures.

Race car history displayed at sports museum

A dragster parked at Dover Drag Strip in the 1950s was one of the photos on display June 10 at an exhibit highlighting Dutchess County’s auto racing history. Photo by Rich Flaherty

The auto racing history of Dutchess County came alive June 10 at the Sports Museum of Dutchess County in the Town of Wappinger with a display of area stock cars, dragsters and go-carts for public viewing.

Many visitors came to the exhibit, both locally and from outside the area, to rekindle past memories and to learn about the regional racing history.

A variety of race tracks dotted the county landscape that featured many racing legends and the cars they drove, including Don Goodrich, Patsy Judson, Billy Boo and Chuck Anthony, to mention a few.
        There was plenty of racing in the 1920s and 1930s in Stormville, Amenia, Millerton, Pine Plains and Washington Hollow. There was also action at racecar ovals in the Town of Poughkeepsie, Rhinebeck and Dover Drag Strip.

The Arlington racetrack in the Town of Poughkeepsie was located where the current Town of Poughkeepsie Police/Justice Court facility is on Tucker Drive and where Clear Channel Radio is located, also on Tucker Drive.

One of the guest speakers was Roger Liller, who spoke about the tracks that existed in Washington Hollow, Pine Plains, Millerton, Amenia and Stormville.

“Many of the tracks closed because of falling attendance and a changing landscape,” said Liller. The population in the county was growing and “real estate was becoming more valuable for development.”

Read the full story in this week’s print edition.

dino
        Keymaster

Busy at Home Base…Got a lot of input to post…Bobby Schlegel photos at Hot Rod Reunion .Skip north And Jacobs running his rail at Lime Rock…More photos found by Brian.

babycakes
            Participant

Thought we hear from Bobby Schlegel by now on putting together a ‘collage’ of photos he took at the Eastern Museum of Motor Sports,regarding ‘Dover’ memorbilia. Guess he’s been quite busy?

dino
                Keymaster

Bobbys been away for a week at the Hot Rod Reunion….

maso
                    Participant

Everybody…

Go see a piece of a “Cult” movie that Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys made back in the day about drag racing and let me know what you think. I think you will be suprised.

It’s called “Two Lane Blacktop”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-FVODNiBaI&feature=related

Did you know that Dennis Wilson really did drag race and that he broke and held track records. They played that aspect of his life down for public relations reasons.

dino
                        Keymaster

Maso….now you’ve done it…I know a “little” bit about the Beach Boys – my favorite group during my time at Dover.
                            Dennis used to bring not one but two Shelby Cobras to San Fernando Raceway in California in 1963-64. One was a A/Sport 427-cubic-inch roadster that he power-shifted on the strip, the other was a matching yellow 289 Cobra, he used as a tow car. Dennis asked that his name not be announced over the P.A. system, nor mentioned in race reports. And he was referred to only as “Mister X,” an identity that would occasionally appear on the list of class winners in local and racing newspapers. He was also the only group member that Surfed. The other Beach boys went though a couple of muscle cars and a street Rod or two. Al Jardine had a Nice Woody and a Three window coupe. Dennis had a Mercedes that the Manson “family” trashed…and he soon got away from that group…but He Drank too much, along with a little nose candy. He was the Mecanic on the ’55 in Two Lane Blacktop…trying to enter into a movie carrear.That kinda flopped. Chapter two next week 😀

dino
                            Keymaster

Is it Next Week already?
                                ChapterTwo …Dennis Wilson-Racer:
                                Early in 1963. Dennis teamed with Brian’s former collaborator Gary Usher, a neighbor in Hawthorne who became a prolific creative figure in surf music recording, and later, folk. As a duo writing, producing and performing and calling themselves the Four-Speeds, they released the single “RPM”/”My Stingray”. Both sides got top four-star ratings in “Billboard” reviews mid-March ’63 and turned out popular enough locally and in spots cross-country to earn, and lose Denny, in a drunk-driving crash,…. a Chevy Corvair sports car(Spyder) .One his best quotes was:
                                , on hearing “Surfin'” (their first release) on the radio for the first time:

“We got so excited hearing our record on the radio that Carl threw up, and I ran down the street screaming”

maso
                                Participant

I thought his movie “Two Lane Blacktop” was cool… in it’s way. But I never knew about it until today.

tomatohead
                                    Participant

…….OK … like I said and been tryin’ to tell ya guys that the computor went BOOM ❗ 😯 and Iam tryin’ to catch up with all the little sh*T thats been going by ❗ 😀 so yes “BABYCAKES” and all the rest of the “GANG” …yes V-BOB this means “U” too 😀 ….the garden is way GOOD ❗ …..I wish my car was doing as good as the garden 😮 ❗ …… maybe Ill have to add some fertilzer to the Fairlane 😀 😆 ❗ …………………

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                        Participant

….as you know or should know by now this is a family thing that is the way it gets done 😀 ………

Attachments:

tomatohead
                                            Participant

….. there are 125 tomato plants alone in this garden 😀 😮 , and each row has 25 or more plants in each row to give you and idea 💡 ❗ 😆 😀 of whats going on 😀 ………………….tomato ❗

Attachments:

speedbump
                                                Participant

Joe, Whats your sch. like this week Thought I’d stop by. Got something for you. Mike (Linguine #2 )

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Mater, the garden looking ‘great’! The Green Giant would be proud of you! Good thing you’ve got the family to help you;that’s one ‘big’ job to keep up with,but at the end,well worth the time and effort put in I’m sure! Won’t be too long to see ya at the ‘Valley’ with your hot rod Fairlane,times going fast! 🙄 …Pete.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

HEY MATER …Check THIS OUT!:
                                                            Dr. Oz Rocket Fuel Metabolism Booster

hvy70ss
                                                            Participant

Hey All,
                                                                Anyone know of Don Garlits health status lately? Last I heard he had a stroke and then nothing else. I wonder how the museum survived all that rain this week…hope all is Ok for both.

Smitty

Viewing 15 posts - 2,986 through 3,000 (of 7,852 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.