Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I just thought that I’d let you guys know that I took off the drivers door, and put it on a table to repair the “droop”. I mentioned this in a previous post, but wouldn’t tell you how I was going to do it. Well, it’s fixed, and it works great!! The doors are not really a good “fit”, if you know what I mean, but no more droop. I took the door panel off, used my air grinder, and made a couple of access holes. I then drilled a hole through the top hinge into and through the door. Then, I installed a 1/4″ “eye bolt”, (stainless), welded the small slot in the “eye”. Then drilled another hole in the bottom opposite side of the door. I then put another “eye bolt” through with1 1/2″ flat washers on each side, and tightened both “eye bolts”. Next step, I measured, and cut a steel rod, (3/16), bent and welded both pieces in a loop, to the upper and lower “eye bolts”. I then bent and welded the other ends to a 1/4″ turnbuckle. Next step was to adjust all the “free play” out of the system, then put some tension on it. Then, I put the door back on and tried it, and just had to put a little more tension on it, and it’s as close to perfect as I can get it. As soon as I get a little time, I’ll do the passenger door, and fix the window regulator so the window goes up and down. I feel really good about my “back yard” fix!! Hope you all enjoyed my little story, and you can laugh at me all you want!! I can’t hear you!!

………………………..Mikey 😮 😯 😆

P.S. When I do the other door, I’ll post some pics of the process.

frank-j-majauskas
        Participant

Hey Mikey, nice job ❗ We all enjoy hearing what and how our fellow ODFs
            tackle their projects. I know that the drooping doors have been bothering you
            for a while. I like your technique on the door repair. Keep us posted. Hey, we are
            going to see you at the Valley this summer ❓ ❓

Frank… 😎

mikey

Frank, I sincerely hope so, I expect to make it. I finally got a part time job, I start Monday. 30 hrs a week delivering parts for a Transport Refrigeration Company in Orlando. When I ran the equipment repair shop for T.G. Lee Dairy in Orlando, I used to order all of our Carrier parts from them, and I got to know the GM pretty well. Not big bucks, but I should bring home around $225. a week. If the car stays together with no major issues, I’ll be there!! I’ve said in the past that if the car didn’t go, I wouldn’t go either. I’ve changed my mind, I’m going no matter what. I want to see all you ODFs, and maybe I can help someone with their car, you never know. ………Mikey 😆

babycakes
                Participant

Congrats on your Willys door (sagging) repair Mikey! Quite interesting how you tackled it! Like Frank sez,we enjoy reading how you approached and conquered the problem.Glad to hear also,you got a job to earn a few extra coins to help some of the expenses.And hey, keep that ‘positive’ attitude making it up here for the Dover ‘5”,we sincerely ‘missed’ ya last year! Why? MIKEY-WE LIKE YA ❗ ❗ ❗ 😀 Pete.

mikey

Pete, I enjoy all the back and forth, and the comments and suggestions. I look forward to them. Also, down South here, it’s never really winter, we just need to watch out for the “dew” factor, because most of the tracks run at night. Not too many day shows. Open at 6pm, first runs about 7pm, and the dew, depending on the temp and humidity can come in any time after about 8:30pm. If you’re not on top of things, it’s real easy to get behind on your steering anything after 1/2 track. I’m going to shoot for Lakeland next Friday, depending on how the weather looks. I’m really looking forward to getting down the track again, but I’m going to be careful about the weather. So anyway, I figure if I give occasional updates on projects I’m doing on the car, and Tom posts his progress with the ’55 and the Mustang, it will keep all the ODFs out of trouble. ………………Mikey 😆

vbob
                        Participant

HEY

Sooo what your saying is you get “black ice” down south too!!!!
                            Being from Neuburg you should be able to drive on ‘black ice’ !!!

‘V’

mikey

V, I have no trouble at all, it’s the damn car!! The thing has a mind of its own!! ……………..Mikey 😮 😯 😆

babycakes
                                Participant

Mikey,your so right! Your race cars are like women,’have a mind of there own’! I’m sure there’s alot more ODF members can tell you some ‘scary’ episodes they’ve had.pounding the 1’4 mile with a ‘wild’ unexpected ride! Cross-winds, lunching,or locking up the drivetrain,your competition drifting into your lane,and one I take full response for,playing a dangerous game,low slick tire pressure! You never thought how serious these ‘horror’s’ were,when we were young bucks racing! Talk about a ‘slick’ track,back in 72,Carmen Rotonda had a Pro-Stock Vega.Saturday night at Island,the ‘Vega’ decided to suddenly drift into the other lane ( turning 9’s.at 130+) in a flash! When he returned to the pits I asked him how did it feel ? Wow! Gotta add some air to the slicks I guess! Anyway Mikey,we’re wishing you GOOD LUCK at the track! Pete.

mikey

Yup, ya gotta be careful with the air. I started out with 10lbs in mine, big mistake!! At about 3/4 track(1/8th) my car started to get really loose, and I actually had to “pedal” the car through the traps! Couple of guys told me they could read “Papas Toy” on the door. I knew it was loose, but I never thought it was that loose. Too used to driving the Dirt cars and Sprint cars I guess. Next 2 passes were at 9lbs, and then down to 8lbs, and that is what I run now. The car seems pretty stable at that pressure. I might try 5 1/2lbs this year, just to see what happens. ………………..Mikey 😆

mikey

I know that this will sound kinda silly. but the car is ready to go to the track, and I actually have a little money, but the weather has been cold. Not N.Y. cold, or Connecticut cold, but unusually cold with a lot of humidity which makes “dew”. The closest track is Lakeland, which is about an hours ride, opens at 6pm. They start running at 7pm. If it’s too cool, the dew will set in early, sometimes before 8:30 or 9pm. That turns the track into a skating rink. I might just take a chance pretty soon, I really want to run the car. I just hate to waste the $15. to run, and the gas down and back. Oh well, I bet you guys would give anything to have this kind of trouble. I know they run on Saturdays, but I don’t know the time schedule, I need to check on that. Why the heck can’t some of the tracks run on Sundays like up North?? 🙄 😕 😆

babycakes
                                            Participant

Mikey,how’s about developing an ‘all-season’ slick? 😮 😆 Seriously, your using the ‘ole’ noodle,why take the chance,or spend your money foolishly; there’s time yet! 😎

mikey

Getting the car ready for the “Super Chevy Show” at Palm Beach International Raceway(Moroso), the 23rd and 24th of this month. Gonna take it down and show it with some other M&M Speed cars. Then, the following weekend, either Friday, or Saturday, it’s off to Lakeland for some test and tune. YES!!!! Tomorrow is going to be fix the flat tire on the trailer day, and hook back up the trans brake wires and maybe a quick wash job. Maybe I’ll take a little ride around my subdivision and clean out the cobwebs!! Time to have some fun!! ……………..Mikey 😆

P.S. Almost forgot, put the wheelie bars back on!!

frank-j-majauskas
                                                    Participant

Hey Mikey, It sounds like you’re going to have some fun… 😆 That’s great ❗
                                                        Once you get in that willys and fire it up, it will be like you don’t have a worry
                                                        in the world ❗ 😆 I can see that big smile on your face as you cruise down
                                                        the street… 😆 😆 😆 Let us know how you make out… 😛

Frank… 😎

babycakes
                                                        Participant

Mikey,your a step ahead of us,and I wish I were in your shoes! Up north here,we gotta while yet to hit the drags. Last weekend, while taking my daily walk,I spotted a few ‘hot-rods’ around here,out for a Sunday cruise,as the roads were pretty dry. A sure sign of spring! Mikey, you and your Willys,have a “GREAT” time ❗ ❗ ❗ Pete.

mikey

Well, the car is all loaded up on the trailer, and the wheelie bars are back on!! Took a tour of the sub-division before loading the car, nice little cruise. I’ll be leaving around 8am for PBIR, can’t wait to see the guys from M&M, and the National El Camino Association, also several guys from El Camino Central will be there. Should be a good couple of days, if the rain stays away. Have to remember the camera and good batteries, I always seem to remember everything but the damn camera. ………………Mikey 🙂 😀 😎 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.