Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

Well, I finally got the car to the dragstrip on Thursday night, the 1/8th mile at Lakeland. I was able to make 5 passes, all trying different things, foot braking the car, different launch RPM, trans brake(it works, yeah), shifting at different RPMs, a total test and tune experiment session. First pass was an easy launch, 5000 shift into 2nd gear, then to 5000 again and shift to 3rd, then coasted through the traps. Et of 7.44, 81 mph. 2nd pass was a little harder launch and shifted at 6000, Et of 6.98, 90 mph. 3rd, 4th, and 5th runs were almost mirrors of each other even while trying some different things. A 6.82, a 6.89, and a 6.77, all at or around 101 to 105 mph. I’m happy with the progress, and most of the repairs and changes seemed to work pretty good. Oh, my 60ft times were all at 1.45 to 1.48, not too bad so far. I’ve got some work to do yet, but I’m going in the right direction. The new engine seems very happy, the trans shifts good, and the trans brake works. I’m just not happy with the suspension. All in all, a good outing, I’m very happy.
        ………………Mikey ๐Ÿ˜†

P.S. Sorry, Dino, Had trouble with the Carb, had to swap out with my spare, ran out of time, left late, seriously flustered to say the least. Cassie had to work, so my friend Tony was going to take some pics, batteries went dead. Next time, I’ll be ready the day before I go. I’m really happy though, the motor might be a little mouse, but it’s pretty stout! Some little things to address, but I’m glad to be back on the track. 1yr, almost to the day when I broke the motor at the 3rd at the Valley. ๐Ÿ˜€

babycakes
        Participant

Mikey.CONGRATULATIONS! You did good,first time out! Other than a few ‘minor’ things that you can correct (like the suspension your not happy with),you must be one ‘happy camper’,with the labor of love you put into your Willys! Nice going,I’m very happy for ya! Keep us updated,thanks,Pete.

tomblake
            Participant

It’s good when all the hard work comes together and everything works well. Glad to see you back on the track. Almost came out to see you but got tied up in a project here. Really great job getting the car back together.

mikey

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it. I’m about 85% happy with everything. I feel like a kid in a candy store again! I really had a good time, even though I thought that the heat and humidity were going to get to me. I didn’t concentrate on any one thing, just tried out everything. Still a work in progress. ………………Mikey ๐Ÿ˜†

masracingtd1167
                    Participant

Mickie glad to hear that every thing worked ok. Hope we get to see you again next year for the Dover fifth!

dino
                        Keymaster

Mikey…Get a piggy bank and label it “Dover Trip Fund”…start now ….$20.00 a week adds up!

tomatohead
                            Participant

…… Hey โ— Mikey me too โ— hope to see you at the next one ๐Ÿ˜€ โ— I mean the 5th ๐Ÿ˜€ โ—

mikey

Well, guys, I have all intentions of being at the Dover5th. ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m now going to do some smaller projects that need attention on the car, plus some necessary maintenance. Adjust valves, and move the timing back from 35 degrees to 30, and test from there. Check over all the bell-housing and trans bolts, front and rear engine plate bolts, and drive-shaft u-bolts. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I only had 1 electrical issue, the trans brake RPM limiter didn’t work. ๐Ÿ™ I had a 3900 chip in it, and it went all the way to the converter stall of 5000. I’m pretty sure it’s just a simple wiring problem. The engine rev limiter works OK, I had a 7000 chip in it, and I ran it up on purpose, and it worked perfectly. ๐Ÿ™‚ Then, I need to fix my “droopy” doors. You open them(both), and they droop really bad. I’ve got some ideas on how to “fix” them, but I’m not telling until I see if the ideas work. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ The good part about the doors is that I can remove them, put them on a table, and do the repairs without kneeling, or standing on my head. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Well, I just wanted to let you guys know that I’m still at it, and I’m still having fun. :mrgreen: …………………..Mikey ๐Ÿ˜†

babycakes
                                    Participant

Mikey,it’s ‘the labor of love’,for Pappa’s Toy! No rush,no pressure,tackling it one step at a time,and having complete satisfaction when done! Enjoy the ‘fruits of your labor’! Willys rule!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ Pete.

mikey

YUP.Willy’s Rule, and the year don’t matter. ๐Ÿ˜†

m-amp-m-speed-amp-custom

I CAN’T WAIT ‘TIL YOU COME DOWN TO M&M AND BRING THE CAR. I WANT TO SEE THAT CAR BACK AT “COUNTY-LINE DRAG-WAY” AGAIN. NOW THAT IT’S PRETTY MUCH FIXED, IT SHOULD REALLY FLY. SEE YA WHEN I SEE YA. RICH ๐Ÿ˜€

dino
                                                Keymaster

mikey ยป Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 pm

I’ve been busy with things around the house, working on my daughter Cassie’s “shitbox”, sorry, but I call a spade, a spade, tinkered with a few things on the car. but I’ve only been to the track the one time just testing different things, and finding things to fix. I’m pretty sure I mentioned that just fooling around, the car went 6.77 in the 8th. I also found that the bracket holding the throttle pedal is cracked, and had bent in toward the firewall, preventing me from getting full throttle. I only noticed this by accident, and I have no idea how long it’s been like that. Is it possible that I’ve never had full throttle??. Time will tell. As for Tom, he has made some wholesale changes to “Odd Job”, and has gone to Lakeland and was able to make some mid 6 second passes. That means he’s going in the right direction for sure. Now, we can have some “match races” the next time we both go to Lakeland. Well, I’m going to go out in the garage and see if I can straighten out the pedal bracket, and “weld ‘er up”. ……………..Mikey

mikey

Well, the car is race ready, just need some money to get it to the track. I’ve got 5 gal. in the tank, and another 5 in a can. Seriously, I’m ready to go and so is the car. I’ll keep you all up-dated . ……………….Mikey ๐Ÿ˜†

vbob
                                                        Participant

HEY

Mikey, heres your gate $$$$!!!
                                                            Just gotta figure a way to pay them at the gate!
                                                            Best of luck ,have fun and run hard!
                                                            ‘V’

Attachments:

mikey

Thanks Bob, I will. ……………….Mikey ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜†

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.