Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

What is that old saying, “The best laid plans”?? Friday, I was going to take “Papa’s Toy” to Lakeland Dragway, the tow vehicle burnt up a fuel pump relay, and left me stranded at a gas station until my son could get one and bring it to me. So, Friday was down the toilet. Saturday I was going to try again, went on the website to see when the gates opened, and there is a Special “Foreign Invasion Night”, big money, Bracket Race. But, not for Domestic cars or trucks. So, I’m going next Friday, even if it snows!!
        ………………..Mikey 😮 😯 😆 😆 😆

…..Mikey …The Green ! hard to read

babycakes
        Participant

Some ‘bad’ luck Mikey, but that don’t let you down! I like your ‘positive’ attitude,and ‘GOOD LUCK’ next Friday,keep the motivation going!!!! 😉 Pete.

mikey

Well, my friend Tony Lamb and I took the Willys to Lakeland Friday, was really feeling good. Made my burnout, pulled up to stage, and the starter shut me down. A fuel leak!! Got back to the trailer and determined that the line from the fuel pump to the front of the car has a pinhole leak right by the r/rear tire. So, Monday, I’ll order some fuel line and get this show back on the road. I don’t have any idea how old the fuel lines are, but with all the other things that were”shortcutted”(is that a word?)they could be 8 or ten years old, and only God knows what has been run through those lines!! …………………..Mikey 😆

Hey, at least I got to the track this trip and made a burnout!! 😆

frank-j-majauskas
                Participant

“Way to go Buddy” ❗ You probably don’t know how many guys up here that are routing
                    for you… 😆 I bet the burnout felt great, eh ❓ Keep us posted… 😆

Frank… 😎

babycakes
                    Participant

Frank,you better believe it!!!! Just like you,Ive been rooting for Mikey,to make it through all his ‘ gremlins’, and tear up the track with his Willys!!!! Mikey, KEEP THE FAITH! All of us wish you the ‘best of success’, and NO MORE ( UNWANTED) SURPRISES!!!…Pete.

mikey

Thanks, guys. I will “Git er done”!!! ……………….Mikey 😆

mikey

Frank and Pete, I appreciate all the input, and the comments. I try to stay on the bright side of things, even when I’m really pissed. 👿 This car is something that I’ve always wanted(a Willys), but it sure does test my patience and ingenuity at times. 🙄 I’ve had soooo many issues with this car, that I feel like I’ve built it from the ground up. 😡 But, it keeps you guys amused, and I get some good ideas and info from you two, plus some of the others. 💡 I got my fuel line yesterday from JEGS, $67.45 with the shipping, for 15 feet of #8 steel braided line. Without my “Racers Discount”, it would have been $68.00 plus shipping. 😮 I’m considering going to Orlando Speedworld on Sunday, it’s a 1/4 mile track and the weather is supposed to be pretty good, I just want to run the damn car down AAAAAAA TracKKKKK!!!! 😯 Man, how I wish my finances were a little better so that I could do things better and quicker. Oh well, one can but wish. Anyway guys thanks 😀 ………………….Mikey 😆 😎

dino
                                Keymaster

HEY MIKEY….Better pissed off than pissed on 😆 ….Ya know the old saying ..”IT’s The Little Things” ….Going through the same thing here with everything from cuircut braekers -air compressor then the dumb clothes dryer at home…never a dull moment -EH? Get a Good shot of a Smokey burn-out…that Always fixes things.

mikey

Just wanted to make this post to say thanks to Billy Massiello(sp) for a suggestion he gave me on mounting my fuel pressure regulator. He got the tip from Billy Casey. He told me to either let the regulator just hang, or mount it in rubber. This takes away all the engine vibration, and lets the regulator work from a “neutral” position. I wanted to let Billy know that I did what he suggested, and I have actually noticed a much steadier reading on my fuel pressure. Here are a couple of pictures of what I did, hope you can see the finished product. ……………….Mikey 😆

Attachments:

mikey

Ok! Had a good night at Lakeland Dragstrip, a nice 1/8th mile track. I was able to make 4 passes testing out the repairs made to the fuel system and some other small things. First run was a 6.65 at 101mph, second run, 6.67 also at 101mph, third run, 6.60 at 102mph, and the fourth run was a 6.57 at 103.87mph, the fastest the car has ever gone in the 1/8th mile so far. My friend and fellow racer, Juan Carlos Diaz took a video of the last and fastest run. I’m going to see if I can post it.
                                            ………………………Mikey 😮 😯 😆

babycakes
                                            Participant

Mikey! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! LOOKING GOOD!!! And ‘THANK YOU” for sharing! Well appreciated! Hey! Straight out of the hole,great steady acceleration and pull ( sounded great!) and real decent times and consistence also! As a ‘Willys Lover’ it got me all ‘pumped-up’ ❗ ❗ ❗ . You gotta be one “HAPPY CAMPER’,after all the hard work and effort you’ve put into it ( along with a few gremlins to work out) ,to enjoy ‘the fruits of your labor’ FINALLY!!! Nice going Mikey ❗ ❗ ❗ 😮 😉 😀 …Pete.

mikey

Thanks a lot, Pete. I had some fun, learned more about the car, and went fast and straight. It was a good night. That video is my last pass, the one that I went the 6.57. I foot braked it to try something, that’s why the revs were low at the takeoff. The reaction times and 60ft times are almost the same, so I had nothing to lose. I really think the car has a little more left in it. With a couple of “tweeks”, I think it will run in the 6.40 range, we shall see. I’m really happy with my “backyard 358” cube motor, it’s pretty happy.

super-sport-pete

MIKEY, way to go! you gotta like it when a plan works. with times so close, we hope to see you in the final at the dover race. its funny I posted a message about the dover ambulance and then said RACE THE WILLYS! at noon Friday, but got TIMED OUT or something, keep it going, pete.

dino
                                                        Keymaster

Working on Mikey’s Video…sometimes with short stuff…easiest way is load to Youtube and copy -paste the link here.

mikey

I appreciate whatever you can do, Dino. I did e-mail it to a few guys, and I was able to put it on the M&M Speed and Custom Page on Facebook. ………..Mikey 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.