Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I played around with the retard box, no smart remarks, that I got from Tom, but I just can’t get it quite right. 😕 I’m not going to give up on it though, because I like the way it “should” work. 🙂 I got my box back from MSD and I’m going to put it back on the car. I’m going to hang on to Toms, and I’ll probably buy it from him, I like it, and I’ll get it to work!! 😀 MSD found “nothing” wrong with my box, and suggested that I check out my 7AL2 box. 😮 The guy told me to remove any wires from the “points” terminal on the 7 box, turn the ignition on, and run a jumper wire from the points terminal and tap it to ground several times. Each time I tap it to ground, the coil should spark. It does!! 😯 So, that shows me that the 7 box is good, they say the multiple retard box is good, so what the hell did I do all this stuff for??!!?? 🙄 I’m gonna put my retard box back in it tomorrow and see what happens. 😉 I’m gonna change all the wire-eyelet connectors, solder them and heat shrink!! 😎 No stone will be left unturned!! 😀 I will let you guys know how I make out tomorrow night. …………….Mikey 🙄 😆

tomblake
        Participant

The way you are sticking to making it work, just a mater of time. Will be waiting to hear how it goes tomorrow.

babycakes
            Participant

Mikey,I think about both you and Tom,with electrical challenges on both your ‘ hot-rods’,that you’s had to face! By now,both are qualified as professional electricians in my book,and respect you guys for ‘never’ giving up!!! 🙄 .Pete.

mikey

OK. Well, I hooked my retard box back up and guess what?? It does the same friggin’ thing!! I called MSD, talked to another tech, gave him all the info and told him all the things that were tried. He told me, after along pause, and a few hm noises, to try connecting the purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid wire, to a direct 12volt source like the ignition side of the box. I did that and it still does not work!! They want me to send it back, no shipping charges, all warranty. So, I guess I’ll borrow my friend Tony’s MSD distributor and try that. He has it programed(set) to start at 12 degrees, and go to 35 degrees when the RPMs get to 1350. Well, got to go get the Distributor. …………………….Mikey 😮 😯 😆

babycakes
                    Participant

Mikey,I’m counting 100 ‘new’ grey hairs you gained this week from this ignition (?????) problem!!! 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 Good thing your staying positive and borrowing Tony’s Distributor to run Poppa’s Toy! Hope all goes well for ya! Pete.

mikey

I forgot to mention that MSD also said that my 7 box might be bad, so they gave me a way to check it, and it tested good. I borrowed my friend Tony’s Distributor, installed it, and guess what?? The car starts and runs perfect!! My retard box is on its way back to MSD. If they can’t fix it, I’m going to make the box that I got from Tom work no matter what it takes!! I will just take my time, and I will get it to work the way I need it to. I’m hoping to get back to Lakeland next Friday, but that will depend on the weather. It has rained here every day for the past 3 1/2 weeks, but not at the same time of day, and sometimes more than once a day. Really takes the wind out of your sails!! Once I get down the 1/8th and everything works correctly, then to Orlando Speed World’s 1/4 mile. Does anyone have some sort of conversion chart of et’s from 1/8th to 1/4 mile?? Well, I’m going back in the garage, got some suspension changes to make on the right rear, and then on the front springs, I’ll do those tomorrow. ……………..Mikey :mrgreen:

340swinger
                            Participant
                                mikey

340Swinger, thank you very much. Now I have an idea what the car should run, or might run, depending on how bad I screw up!! My fastest so far in the 1/8th was a 6.57, and I was not pushing the car at all. I also foot- braked the car on that pass, leaving at 1800 RPM’s. I don’t know why I did that, but it was still a good pass. ……………….Mikey :mrgreen:

babycakes
                                    Participant

HEY MIKEY! According to that chart,you’ll surely be in the mid 10’s! This has got to make you a ‘happy camper’ with your engine build!!! 😮 😮 😀 😀 Pete,

mikey

Yes, I think low tens, maybe even sneak in a high nine, you never know. Pete, I’ll take whatever I can get, I’m pleased with my little “Mouse”, and no Nitrous, just single carb and gas(E85). I will stay in touch. …………….Mikey :mrgreen:

babycakes
                                            Participant

The ‘Mighty Mikey Mouse’ motor prevails!!!! If you crack the 9’s Mikey,also you’ll crack a ‘giant’ smile from ear to ear!!!! 😮 😛 .Good luck my friend,GO FOR IT!!! Pete.

mikey

Yes, Pete, I sure will!! I’m not planning on it, I have no idea how the car will react. I will make a test pass to see how the car acts on the longer track, and if I’m happy, the next pass will be a pretty hard one!! I’m mostly concerned with the front end alignment, I don’t want to be “chasing” the steering on the top end. ………..Mikey :mrgreen:

P.S. As you have probably noticed, I have decided to go with Mr. Green, instead of the laughing Smiley. Since I run the E85, I’m Green, right?? :mrgreen: I figure my Willys is a Hybrid, it burns fuel and rubber!! :mrgreen:

mikey

As some of you may know, I’m working through some health issues, some of which kept me in Florida instead of Dover 5 at the Valley. So, I’ve been working a little on the “Toy” when I feel up to it. I finally got my “retard box”, no smart remarks please, back from MSD for the second time. This time they replaced the 3 wire harnesses and the plug from the box. I need this to retard the timing on start-up by 20 degrees or the car pretty much won’t start. Well, This time when I put the box in and hooked up all the wires, it friggin’ worked!!!! Next on my list is to move my fan switch to a more convenient location, and I’ve added a wire to the alternator from the fan relay to give the alt voltage while the motor runs. I put a new alternator on the car with a little more amperage and it needs 3 wires. Charges great, I’m happy. I also have put my heavier front springs back in the car to get a little higher ride height, and I need to set up the alignment. Maybe to the track sometime next week unless I’m in the hospital. Well, gotta go, time for my nightly coffee and bullshit session with the wife.
                                                        …………………Mikey :mrgreen:

tomblake
                                                        Participant

Looks like even MSD can get it right if you stay on them long enought, way to go Mikey.

tomatohead
                                                            Participant

…. “HEY MIKEY” glad to hear somebodys making progress on there car 😀 ,I hope you feel better and make next years race ❗ 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.