Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    dino
    Keymaster

Mikey’s Wife surprised him with this cool shot the Track photographer took.

Attachments:

hvy70ss
        Participant

Hang in there Mikey! Even if you just jump on a plane to be here this year would be great. I’m sure an ODF up here could pick you up. Love that pic of your car!

Bobby Smith

mikey

Well, I’ve been working on the “Toy”, with the help of Juan Carlos, and it’s almost “Race Ready”. First thing we attacked was the rear suspension adjustment to the 4 link.The car was picking up the L/front first, then the R/front would come up.( check the picture of the launch) I decided to jack up the rear, and make an adjustment to the R/top bar. I went 3 flats on the bar(make it longer) to put tension on the rear and the L/front. I think it ill fix the problem. For those of you who are wondering how adjusting the R/rear will affect the L/front, you have to remember that most chassis work like an X. What you do to one corner, will affect the opposite corner on the other end of the car/truck/etc. Then, on to the front end. I wanted positive caster at a standstill, and 0 caster at “race speed”. It took some doing, but we got it done, reset the camber and the toe. Carlos drove the car around the neighborhood and said it didn’t pull, and went straight even under braking. We will see the next time we get to a track. Next, I had bought a set of push rod guide plates, the raised style, and wanted to install them in place of the flat plates. I started pulling things apart, and when I loosened the Stud Girdle on the drivers side, the #1 exhaust lock-nut popped off!! I never saw that happen before, it broke off about 5/16 of an inch above the bottom of the nut. It amazes me that the car never missed or popped, and the adjustment was only .002 off!! I always check the adjustments before any repairs or adjustments to be done. Anyway, I got the new plates on and torqued, and then covered up the heads until I have the new nuts. I decided that since they come in a package of 8, that I will do all the exhausts. I’m also going to finally pull the plugs out and put the new ones in that I’ve had on the bench for almost a year. The plugs in the engine are from the old engine. I put them in this motor just to start it and idle in the garage, around the neighborhood, and forgot to change them. Well, I’m going to go rest now,bye bye. :mrgreen:

tomblake
                Participant

Sounds like you looked at the valves in time, good catch. Will be waiting for the track results. Anything on the transbrake?

mikey

Tom, rather than get myself all flustered, I decided to fix and adjust the things that I know about, versus things that I’m not sure about. After I get the valves all squared away, I will “investigate” the trans brake. I can run the car without the brake, but it’s the principle of the thing!! If it’s there and it worked, I should be able to use it. My 60ft times are almost identical using the Brake or foot braking, it’s just annoying as hell that it almost works correctly. ……………..Mikey :mrgreen:

dino
                        Keymaster

MIKEY…thought I’d Stick it here…Rich Is back in action …he called me today…check in with him.

mikey

Just a short update on the rocker arm nut issues. After really looking closely at the rocker arm studs, and how far they screw into the nuts, I decided to get longer studs. I went over to Tony Lambs house, and we measured several studs and found 15 that were about 5/16 of an inch longer than mine. Tony gave them to me for free, nice guy. I then went to Murrays Speed Shop in Orlando, and Roger sold me 2 out of a set of 16 for $6.00. He said he would just order a 2 pack and replace the 2 he sold me. Another nice guy, he could have made me wait until Monday or Tuesday.( I got 2 so I would have a spare, also will get a spare lock nut) So, tomorrow, I’ll put the new studs in get the rockers and stud girdle on and adjust the valves. Oh, and put in the new spark plugs. …………Mikey :mrgreen:

mikey

I think I have been putting my health info here, so here is the latest update. I start my second round of Chemo on Friday, 6/6/14. Once a week, 2 to 3 hours, for 6 weeks, then 2 weeks off. They want to do this in 3 sessions, basically 6 months. After about 30 days off from the Chemo,my Surgeon will operate and put me back together(no bag). So, I will see how I feel when the Dover 6 comes around, and if I’m doing OK, I will fly up, no car just little old me. ………Mikey :mrgreen:

don-kauer

Mikey….Just a quick hey and to let you know I think of you every day… 🙂 ….I start every morning in prayer (in my man cave) 😀 and your perfect healing is part of my prayer…………Prayers and love from my family to yours…Don…

tomblake
                                        Participant

Mikey….Good to hear that your still thinking of making the race even if it is without the car. We are both hoping everything goes to your plan.

frank-j-majauskas
                                            Participant

Mikey, unlike Don, I pray for your health improvement every night. So we have
                                                you covered ❗ I know there’s a lot of people routing for you…Do what you’re suppose
                                                to do…Keep your spirits up…And we’ll see you at the Valley in August buddy ❗ 😀

Hang tight…Frank… 😎

mikey

I want to thank all you guys for the thoughts and prayers, I appreciate them, and I know that they work!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

babycakes
                                                    Participant

MIKEY!!! Hey my buddy, I’ve been a ‘day late, and a dollar short’ trying to catch up on my honey-do list, and helping a good neighbor repair his deck,and restain it. I too wanna say my thoughts and prayers will always be with you, throughout your treatments,and healing process. You made my day stating if all goes well,you’ll fly up for the 2014 Dover Drags at the ‘Valley’! WE WANT YOU THERE!!!

mikey

Okay guys, here goes. I’ve been thinking about doing a “Tribute” to Bill Casey and his “Super Pumpkin”. The only way to do this, is to make “Papa’s Toy” into the “Super Pumpkin”. I have the Casey “family” blessing from Judy, and all the extended family to do this project. I have located a paint supplier that will give me a little bit of a break on material, and the color will be “Hugger Orange” with some gold metallic in it. I will have the car ready for next year, not this year. The car will get painted this year though, just not lettered. Oh, Dino will do the lettering just like the ’57. I hope you guys are all on board with this, because I’m really excited about it. The car will still have “Papa’s Toy” on it somewhere, just not sure where, maybe on the hood scoop, or under the back window.No matter what, it will always be “Papa’s Toy”. ………………MIkey :mrgreen:

tomblake
                                                            Participant

Cool Mikey, I am sure Casey would like that. That will make two Florida Dover cars colored Hugger Orange.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.