Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

Looks like you will be making noise shortly. The assembly good real good.

babycakes
        Participant

Mikey….hope you had the garage door closed when installing those ‘spiral-locks’;neighbors kinda frown on all that ‘cursing’ and ‘swearing’ outbursts 😮 😮 😡 😡 ,seriously Mikey…with all your motivation and skills…looking GOOD!!! KEEP IT GOING!…Pete.

mikey

Thanks,guys, I appreciate the comments. Once I got the hang of those damn locs, it was pretty easy from there. Once I get the cam degree’d in, all I need are my heads back, a set of roller lifters, and gaskets, and it will be finished. ………………Mikey 😆

tomatohead
                Participant

……….. MIKEY this isnt really going to help you much 🙁 , BUT if you were up here I would have helped you no problem with assy of your engine ❗ 😡 I dont know whos to blame for what ever problem your havin now but they say it takes TWO ❗ ,dont get me wrong Iam not siding with the shop who sold you the parts , BUT sometimes you need to step back and look at all the angles , like when your playing chess ❗ theres always more then one way to move same with engine building ,( Yes I play Chess 😀 ❗ ) so next engine you build let me know I build you one here at my garage and we will figure out how to get it to you ❓ ❗ , but with all the money you spend on parts we could have easyily picked it up at my house and you could have dinner and sleep over and took a shower 😯 before you went back home 😀 just trying to help keep it in mine ,I work for food beer bottles of red wine and used speed eqiupment 😀 😆 ❗ your friend and everybody elses friend TOMATOHEAD ❗ 😉

mikey

Mater, I don’t want to be a smart-ass, but I’ve probably built more engines than you’ve got hairs on your head. 😮 And no, I’m not upset at you for the post, I appreciate it. 😀 The problem is with the machine shop. Anyone that really knows me, knows that I built some good engines, Drag and Circle track. 😯 I bought the block as a race prepped block, needing #2 cylinder sleeved. It was already bored .040, and came with 7 good pistons that were in the motor, and one new one. The block was align honed, which I found to be true, my oil clearances on the mains are all the same, and perfect. 😎 I used my 6″ H-beam rods, which have been checked for proper length, I watched the guy check them (not the same shop, this was done before the other shop), and I bought 8 new JE wrist pins, those friggin’ “spiral-locs”, and a new SCAT crankshaft. 😛 Also, the Machine Shop said that the block had been decked. I probably should put some blame on me, because I took them at their word that all of this was done by the previous owner 🙄 . When I assembled the short block, I agree, “clean is everything” and I tried my best to make it so. Ring end gap checked out good, all the bearing oil clearances were perfect(rods and mains), so I’m already getting “thrilled”. 😆 Got it all put together, and was waiting for my buddy Tony to come over with his tools to degree the cam. I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE DECK!!! 🙁 After we got the cam squared away, I decided since we’ve got the dial indicator out, lets check the deck real quick. 😕 Boy, am I glad we did!! I’m going to have to have the block decked .010 or .013, I have not yet decided on a “0” deck, or a.003. The block is higher on both sides in the back, it gradually gets more clearance as you go from lets say #1, back to #7, and the same on the other side, from #2 back to #8. 👿 Oh, and #2 piston, the new one, is .007 higher in the cylinder than all the others, so I need to have .006 machined off of the top flat areas, and the top of the dome. 😮 😯 So, tomorrow, brite and early, the block is going to a REPUTABLE, WITH REFERENCES, Machine Shop in Haines City. 😀 I don’t really have much choice but to continue on with this build, the machine shop that I bought the block and stuff from said that they would buy the block, pistons and wrist pins back, but that’s it. 🙁 By the time I bought new pistons, and had the machine work done, decking, boring, align hone etc, I’d be way past where I am now. 😯 And, if I decided to , start a new engine build, it would be a 383, not a 350, so I’d need to buy another crankshaft, because I sent the other one back when I decided to do this engine. 😥 Jeez, I just love this crap. Sorry, hope I’m not whining to loudly, if I am, send me some cheese! 😉 🙂 😀 😎 😆 ………………….Mikey 😆 😆 😆 😆

frank-j-majauskas
                        Participant

Hey buddy, this is a good place to vent ❗ We’re all following your build.
                            I hope you have a good week…..Keep us posted….Fingers crossed ❗ ❗

Frank… 😎

babycakes
                            Participant

Mikey,back in the early 70’s I encountered the ‘same’ problem with deck height on a 327 Chevy block,going through the same procedure your going through,a balanced and blueprinted engine (stock 250 h.p.) to run in my 64 Vette for street and strip use.You can never predict what ups and downs your gonna face when taking on ‘any’ projects! no doubt it’s best to ‘vent’ your frustrations,and I’m glad you do,cause in the end your ‘motivation’ will prevail over the ‘downs’ your having at this time! Mikey…we like ya…keep the faith!!! 😀

mikey

Pete, thanks for the post. Joe and I talked this morning for almost an hour, real good conversation, about a lot of things, not just engines. After my post, I felt that I should call Mater, and let him know that there was no evil in my post, I just felt that it was important to hear that from me in person, not have to read it, it could have been taken in the wrong context. We’re good! Talked about engines, cars , college for the kids, the old times, and lots of stuff. I enjoyed the conversation immensely. The block is at Regional Performance in Haines City, .010 will be taken off the deck. They can’t cut the tops of the pistons, so I have another shop lined up for that. Both shops agree that there will be very minimal weight taken off the pistons, so re-balancing should not be necessary. I will be getting the block back tomorrow, and the pistons Friday, or Monday. Hopefully, all will be good. …………….Mikey 😆

babycakes
                                    Participant

Mikey,I like and admire you guys,both you and ‘Mater’ (Joe),he’s a ‘pip’ alright! I felt bad for both you guys at Island a few years back at the Dover race.Both of you were cursed with ‘gremlins’ remember? Like I said it’s good to vent your ‘frustrations’ (money and delays involved) I know none of us ODF members take offense of this…why? We do the same damned thing!!! Looks like some ‘sunshine’ back in your life again Mikey,hoping it will continue ….your back on course !!! And hey…remember to keep us updated when you get the chance…..thanks Mikey…..Pete. 😀

mikey

Thanks, Pete. As you can see, I’m back in the “Green” again, so I’m feeling better about things. And, thanks to all of you for the understanding and nice words. Some of my problems were “self inflicted”, but most were not. I will be MUCH MORE CAREFULL in the future!! …………….Mikey 😆

P.S. I even felt good enough to push “Papa’s Toy” outside for a quick bath! Just water, of course, I’m not quite happy enough for soap yet. Maybe tomorrow. 😆

mikey

OK. I got my block back today, all nice and decked. Took off .010 and now it’s straight!! Also got my heads back today. They had to be welded around the water ports that are close to the combustion chambers. I thought they were just corroded pretty badly, but what I thought was corrosion, was, can you believe this, JB Weld!! The Shop also touched up the valves and seats for me. I’m very happy with their work. Oh, they had to take off .012 to clean things up. Now, I just need to worry about piston to valve clearance, but I think I’ll be OK. I’ll check it, and if it’s off a little, I’ll get it fixed. Got the pistons back also, had 3 sent out for a little “shave job”. I’m very positive about things now, If I have any issues, I can deal with them, no problem. Here are some pics of the heads, hope they are clear enough for you guys. Almost forgot, these are a set of Brodix Track 1 Heads, with the 2.08 intake valves
                                                ………………….Mikey 🙂 😀 😎 😆 😆 😆 😆

Attachments:

mikey

A couple more, only allows 5. 😥 😥

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Mikey (no pun intended) thanks for the ‘heads’ up on your engine assembly. Positive ‘attitude’,way to go Mikey!!! 😀

mikey

Pete, sometimes I just have to step back, put things into some type of understandable perspective, vent a little, and then get back to it. One way or another, I’ll get an engine together and get back to the track, and some local Shows. I tend to put myself under a lot of pressure, and I shouldn’t do that. But, I will say this. It’s nice to know that I’ve got friends on the forum who offer help. suggestions, and moral support. The ODFs are the best friends that a guy could have. ………..Mikey 😆

babycakes
                                                            Participant

Mikey,it won’t be too long before you know it,will be the ‘sounds of power’ coming through your exhaust headers! Then you can step back with ‘pride’,to overpower the ‘frustrations’ that you have fought off,and enjoy the ‘fruits of your labor’ Speaking for myself,and the other ODF members…MIKEY, WE LIKE YA ! Your one heck of a guy!!! KEEP IT GOING MY FRIEND ! 😛 Pete.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.