Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

I figured I’d try blue today, ’cause I’m not!! Cleaned the block, set the crank in and torqued it down. Then I put the four pistons and rods in it that were no machined. I’ve got .003 to .0045 piston to deck. I can live with that, I’m not really a”zero deck” kinda guy. Then, I put the machined pistons back on their rods, and installed them in the motor. I forgot to mention, installed without rings. Pretty much the same readings on those piston deck heights too. Within a 1/2 a thousandth. Now, I can get it together, again. My friend Tony Lamb and I are working on the heads as far as correct springs, keepers and retainers, and spring cups to prevent the springs from wandering around. I’ll post some pictures as we get things more “together”. Pretty soon, I’ll have to go get some of my parts back. I loaned out both of my E-85 Carbs, and my Torque Convertor. At least one carb, and the convertor are in the same car. Hm, 4 fuel cans too. Oh well, gotta go. ………………….Mikey 😆

mikey

Well, the short-block is complete once again, cam is degree’d and the timing chain cover is on. Oil pump and pan are on, oil filter and 8 quarts of 15/40 oil are in the engine, and it’s all nice and “bagged”. I’m considering putting the short-block in the car now, without the heads and intake. It would be a lot easier to get at some of the bolts, and I’ve decided to make some new trans lines from the trans to the cooler out of steel. The ones on the car now, are rubber, and I don’t know how old they are. I think some nice steel lines to the cooler would be safer, and just 2 short “vibration hoses” would be better than all rubber lines. Any suggestions guys, good idea, bad idea, what say you??
            ……………….Mikey 😮 😯 😆

babycakes
            Participant

Mikey,your right on the money with your approach.How many times throughout the years building ‘hot-rods’ have you cussed yourself out, saying ‘why the heck am I’m fighting to mount,or fabricate this,when it could have made life ‘easier all around,had I just installed a ‘short-block’ assembly ‘first’,and build up from there’ ! My personal ‘preference Mikey,would be ‘all’ steel trans. cooler lines (if you have a steel bending tool ). Along it trail from trans. to cooler,fabricate some custom brackets,to hold them steady,and vibration free.Mikey,I know you do ‘neat’ work,and they will look professional either way,I.m sure. Just giving you my 2 cents worth Mikey,glad to hear it’s coming along,and your finally seeing some light,at the end of the tunnel!

mikey

Pete, I appreciate the input on both the trans lines, and the motor. I’m going to do the steel lines for sure. I do have a tubing bender, so hopefully they will not be a problem to bend. I’m thinking of hooking then to the frame with the metal ” one hole straps” that have the rubber liner or insert. That will give them some “wiggle room”, and help with any vibration. I’ll probably use good rubber or nylon type hose for the last 3 to 6 inches to the cooler, since it doesn’t have fittings, we’ll see. As far as the engine, I’ve decided to put it back in the car less the heads and intake. It will be a lot easier to get at things, and there are a couple of things that I want to change around and/or re-position. Thanks again for your input. Time to go to work on the car. ………………….Mikey 😆

babycakes
                    Participant

“Motivation”-Mikey…..FULL “SPEED” AHEAD!!!! And keep us updated!!! 😀

babycakes
                        Participant

Hey Mikey! what’s shakin’? Been a while since we heard from ya! Just curious,any smoke out of the headers yet ❓ 🙄 …Pete

mikey

Hi Pete, thanks for asking. Funny, I was just going to make a post on my “project”. The motor is all together except for the roller lifters and the intake . I ordered the lifters from Doug Herbert, and should have them tomorrow. I have the motor on a “run-in stand”, supplied by my fellow racer and good friend, Tony Lamb. He has a separate little roll-around cart with the MSD box, coil, distributor, switches and gauges. He also supplied the “test” headers and water pump that works with the garden hose. Once I get the lifters in, I can check for proper push-rod length. My push rods are .080 long, so I hope they will be OK. I’ll mark the top of the valve with a magic marker, set the rocker at zero lash(not tight, by hand), and turn it over a couple of times by hand, pull the rockers off, and see where the ink is gone. If it’s close to the center, I’m good. I’m going to check with the 1.5 rockers first, then the 1.6 rockers. I’ll only check an intake and an exhaust on both sides, not every cylinder. If the wear mark is past the center of the valve stem, the push-rod is too long, if it’s before the center, it’s too short. Oh crap, I have to go get some E-85, I’ve sold it all. Well, I hope to have the engine outside in the driveway and running over the weekend. Film at eleven!! I will take some pictures, and maybe a video if I can figure out how to post it.

babycakes
                                Participant

Thank you for the updated ‘status’ Mikey! Just like a professional carpenter Mikey,your measuring ‘twice’ before making the cut.Continue on Doctor Mikey,with your engine surgery,’making it right’!…Pete.

mikey

Well, I got my lifters today, installed them and checked my push-rod lengths, and everything is perfect. I checked with both the 1.5 rockers, and the 1.6 rockers, and they are both so close to perfect, it’s hard to believe. I think I’m just going to go with the 1.6 rockers. I bought them because the cam I was able to get from my friend Tony, was only a 602/602. It’s a new, never used Isky, and for $75.00 I couldn’t pass it up. I also bought the 1.6 rockers from Tony for $100.00. Using the 1.6 rockers will give me about another 38 to 40 thousandths lift, which will put me right where the old camshaft was. Tomorrow after work, the rest of the push-rods go in, the rockers go on and the valves get adjusted. Then, on goes the intake, and it’s ready to run. Hopefully, noise on Saturday!! ……………….Mikey 😉 🙂 😀 😎 😆

mikey

Change of plans. Noise today!! I went and got 5 gallons of E-85, and just decided that it was going to run NOW. I put my crank-trigger ignition on the engine, put my friend Tony’s E-85 2bbl carb on it(only needs one fuel line, my Demon needs three), set the timing, and started it up. My friend Tony, loaned me his “run-in” stand, it’s got an electric fuel pump on it, and there is another cart with switches, and gauges, along with an MSD Box. Tony also loaned me a set of headers with mufflers, and an old water pump that he hooks a garden hose to that controls the flow of water through the engine, which in turn controls the engine temp. I ran the engine through 6 heat cycles, up to 180, then shut it down( about 15 minutes of run time on each cycle), got the temp down to 120, then ran it again. No leaks of any kind, and it sound really good!! I’m going to run it some more tomorrow for a longer period of time, and at different RPMs. I’m posting some pics of the stand and engine, and one pic of my “home-made” ball joint spacers, and the new 250lb front springs. I’m trying to soften up the front end, and get some lift on acceleration. ……………..Mikey 😆

Attachments:

mikey

Can only post 5 at a time, sorry.

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                Participant

Mikey,that set-up is so COOL ! Here you can run your engine,to check out for any possible problems,and correct,before installing it your ‘hod-rod’! No doubt,Tony really helped you out,BIG Time! The 2bbl. carb reminds me of a ‘modified’ 60’s-70’s Ford V/8 2 bbl. at first glance.Anyhow Mikey,you gotta be one “Happy Camper”,congratulations my man ❗ ❗ ❗ 😀

mikey

Yea, Pete, that 2bbl looks like an old Autolite from years gone by. Tony uses it to make his car go slower so he can run a specific time slot at some bracket races. He has turned out to be a good friend. When we first met, I was having all kinds of “issues” with the car. This was at that little eighth mile track by my house. I had just purchased it, and there were fuel issues, electrical issues, trans issues, I was almost overwhelmed. He helped me sort out a couple of problems at the track that night, and I was able to make my first passes in over 35yrs. He also offered to loan me his E85 carb and some fuel to try, and we had just met. The guy didn’t know me from Adam, yet he loaned me a $600.00 carb. Now, I repay the favors by helping him out in whatever ways that I can. The main thing is that we trust each other, and respect each others opinions. We don’t always agree, but we talk things out. I’ve actually been able to show him a few things, and that makes me feel good. If he’s over at my house, and I’m working on the, lets say rear suspension, and the valves still need to be adjusted, he’ll go ahead and do that, and I don’t worry. We also work well together, and have helped several other racers out with different problems.

……………………Mikey 😆

babycakes
                                                        Participant

Mikey,it ‘amazes’ me nowadays,the price you pay for speed! ( my ole brain still thinks it’s back in the 60’s alot ) and I get ‘sticker-shock’,as for instance when you mentioned that 2bbl. E85 carb price tag for $600 big ones! Someday my brain I hope will get caught up with ‘modern’ times and speed part prices! Meantime,good to here some sound finally,out of those exhaust headers! Now it’s time to put the ‘heart’ back in your Willys!.Appreciate you keeping us updated Mikey….Pete.

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Mikey Called me to, have me hear the engine RUNNING, on that stand! VROOM -VROOM 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.