Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    mikey

Pete, the price of $600.00 was what it cost me to build my 750 Holley, not Tony’s Holley 2bbl. If I’m not mistaken, that ran him around $275.00 for all the parts to swap it over. On my Holley, I thought I’d be in “Schaefer City”(sp), because a friend on the M&M Forum gave me the carb for free. Guess what? I was only able to use the throttle plate!! The center section had to be replaced with a new one that had screw in air bleeds, and then it had to be sent out for the “boosters” to be replaced. Next, the fuel bowls were both stripped where the fuel inlet fittings screwed in, no good, so I bought 2 new fuel bowls, and I figured, “what the hell”, why not go for the Zinc Plated stuff, so I got the center section, the fuel bowls and the accelerator pump housings all zinc plated. $300.00 for the center section to be modified, and that includes the parts to convert the carb to run the E-85. Then, you add shipping for the center section up to N.C. and back, plus a little extra for the “conversion kit”, about $50.00, $134.95 for the center section, around another $100.00 for the rest of the “Zinc” parts, plus 1 50cc Accelerator pump kit, plus the fuel squirters with the little spay nozzles, and poof, you’re about $600.00 bucks! Are we having fun yet? And the funny thing about this carb, I never ran it on my car, other than to set the float levels, and make sure the air/fuel mixture was good. I use it as a spare if I need it, which I haven’t, and a loaner, which I’ve done several times. My Willy’s has a 925 Demon that’s been modified. The Holley is on loan as we speak, and the guy wants to buy it. I might just let him buy it, I don’t know. Well, I’m going to go work on my car. Give me a call anytime. 1-407-394-6830, that’s my cell, and I always answer it.
        ………………….Mikey 😆

babycakes
        Participant

Yeah Mikey,been there,done that with ‘used’ parts.sometimes you score,and sometime you loose ($$$) .Happen to me at the 68 Spring Nationals at ‘E’ town.Just prior to running my 57 Chevy C/MP. I bought a ‘used’ set of Mondello heads I put on,just before I got there.Went 2 rounds,and BINGO,my dream ended of winning my class,number 6 cyl.port in head cracked,filling the cyl. with water.Too much porting (grinding) finally caused it’s demise.And no,it wasn’t me who did it! But as they say,’that’s racing’! Any event,I did enjoy watching the countries ‘big dogs’ fighting it out to see who won there class.Mikey,I guess it’s a toss of the coin,whether to part company with your Holley ($$$) carb at this time.

mikey

I look at it this way. I’ve had it on my car just once, to “dial it in”, but I never used it at the track. My friend Tony used it 3 weeks, while his carb was in N.C. at Justus Daniels Shop, the RaceonE85.com guy. He is the guy that sells the “conversion kits”, and also builds the carb if you want him to. He will also put it on a race car, and “dial it in” with the proper jets, pumps, and power valve. The guy who has my Holley now, and wants to buy it, supposedly, has been using it for over a month. I’ve decided that since he’s a friend, I’ll let him have it for $550.00, anyone else, $625.00. It’s a race proven carb, it’s all new except the throttle plate, and you can’t get a new one like it for that money. Oh, and if you by a “Quick-Fuel” E-85 Carb, they refer you to Justus for Tech Support and/or repairs. They only sell them, not repair or tune. I’m going to put the engine in my car tomorrow, but not going to finish it yet. I want to put steel trans lines from the trans to the cooler, with just two short pieces of hose at the cooler itself. I also need to do some “touch up” welding on the headers where the pipes for the engine breather system go into the collectors. I’m going to put some small mufflers(Shoenfeld 6″), and some longer exhaust pipes,3″ with turnouts/downs. Some tracks require mufflers now, and any shows with a “cruise” also require them. …………………Mikey 😆

babycakes
                Participant

Mikey,always the ‘nickel’ and ‘dime’ things to finish up.Don’t know if you ever used a ‘ things to do’ list on paper (pasted to the windshield). several good friends would help you build your hot rod.Rather then guess what had to be done,or was it done,you crossed off the list,and initialed it when completing that specific job on the car,rather than hearing afterwards when it’s too late…’Oh,I thought ‘you’ did it’ !!! I’m using the same ‘lesson’ nowadays (at my age) a ‘shopping-list’ before I hit the grocery stores,otherwise I’d forget half the stuff I need! 🙄 💡 😀

mikey

I know exactly what you mean. Old story: Uncle Mike comes knocking on the door. You answer the door and ask if he’s got any money, he says Yes. You say where is your money, he says in my pocket. You say where’s your pocket, he says in my pants. You say where’s your pants, he says I left them home. GET OUT OF HERE YOU DRUNKEN BUM!!

………………Mikey 😆

masracingtd1167
                        Participant

This has been a bad year for me with not so nickle and dime stuff but everythig due all at once New helmet 300.00 New belts 150.00 Chassis cert 100.00 Licence 100.00 .Now throw in a head and neck restraint for 600.00 . almost forgot flex plate another hundred . It’s enough to make you crazy sometimes .

mikey

Jeez, Billy, I forgot all about that stuff!! The way my luck runs, I’ll have to do the Belts and the helmet at least. 😥 😥
                                Well, the engine is back in “Papa’s Toy”. I didn’t realize it , but I pulled the engine out the first week of September, 2011. What a project! I’m not going to finish the install yet, I’ve got some little “projects” that need to be addressed. New steel trans lines to the cooler with 2, 6″ hoses to the cooler itself, and some welding on the headers where the engine vent pipes go into the collectors. Then I need to weld in 2 mufflers, and some 18″ tail pipes with turn outs/downs, whatever I decide. Most of the tracks have a “muffler rule” now, so they will be permanent. They’re little 6″ Schoenfelds(sp), but they are mufflers. Oh, I decided to try to put the engine in all by myself, just to see how hard it would be. It was a little tough, but I did it, and I actually enjoyed myself. Fan blowing, AC/DC blasting, lots of ice water, I had a good afternoon. I also got some yard work done, mowed the front lawn and trimmed the little Robellini Palm tree in the front yard. ………………Mikey 😆

Attachments:

paul-vaast-1289ba

Looks good Mikey, what track(s) will you be racing at?

mikey

There’s an 1/8th mile 15 minutes from my house here in Kissimmee, Florida. I go there to “test and tune”, then there’s Lakeland, another 1/8th mile track, which is close to where Tom Blake lives. I’ve met him at the track a few times, and have been to his house. I’ve also been to Bradenton, an “old school” 1/4 mile track. Then there are a couple more farther South, Palm Beach International Raceway, the old Moroso track, and another 1/8th mile track down by M&M Speed and Custom called Countyline. Oh, almost forgot, Orlando Speedworld, but I’ve never had the car there. Maybe this year I’ll give it a try. I’ll probably just hit The 1/8th mile by my house, Central Florida Racing Complex, or CFRC, and break the motor in at that track, the trans too. I’d like to make the trip up to the Valley again this year, but I just don’t think the money will be there, we’ll see.
                                        …………………Mikey 😆

babycakes
                                        Participant

Mikey,no doubt about it,your a ‘one-man’ band! Your like that Energizer Pink Bunny on t.v. you keep going,and going,and going! Mikey,I know times are still tough,but if there’s anyway you can swing it to make the Dover 4th this year;the ‘boys’ would love to see ya again! As Billy mentioned above,racing ain’t cheap anymore,and it sure puts a big dent in your wallet,if you want to race,especially if you don’t have sponsorship to help pay the costs of running your race car!

mikey

I have not posted on my progress with the Willy’s in quite a while, so I figured I’d update my “work in progress”. The car is done except for a couple of small things. It needs new rubber vibration lines to the trans cooler, I ran new steel lines from the trans out to the cooler, they were rubber all the way before. I also moved the overflow tank to the firewall to get it out from in front of the radiator. Then, I moved the trans cooler to the bottom of the radiator and put it sideways instead of up and down. There is a large fan on the passenger side of the radiator on the inside, and a small fan on the outside of the drivers side. I’m pretty sure that moving these 2 things will let the car run a little cooler. Then, the toe needs to be set, and the caster/camber checked. I almost forgot one important item. I put a set of Shoenfeld racing Mufflers on the car. Most tracks are requiring cars to have mufflers now. I also take the car to “OLD TOWN” in Kissimmee, to show it and sometimes do the cruise. The final touch will be sticking the nose back on the car. I’m just taking my time, and trying to do or fix all the little things that bothered me. The next project will be fixing the brakes on the trailer. That should be fun, NOT.
                                                ………………….Mikey 😆

Attachments:

mikey

Sorry, need to post more pics. 😆

Attachments:

mikey

More still. Almost having fun!!Hope you guys enjoy the pictures. 😆 😆

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                        Participant

Mikey,you gotta be ‘pumped’ up! Looking ‘real’ good coming down to the wire of completion! NICE! 🙂 Pete.

mikey

Thanks, Pete. I’m actually enjoying the time I’ve got, and doing some of the little things that can drive you nuts. After I get it all done, and to the track, the next project will be to fix the “droopy doors”, and get the passenger side window to go up and down again. Hopefully, I’ll get back to the track in the next week or two.
                                                                …………………Mikey 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.