Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Forums Forums CURRENT MEMBERS RIDES / RACING Repairs for Papa’s Toy. From Engine woes, to now it GOES!!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 414 total)
  • Author
    tomblake
    Participant

Mikey….looking real good, wish I was as far along as you are but getting there. It is good when you can take care of the little things that bug us. Usually means the big things are done also.

mikey

Tom, I think you are doing much better than me. I started with a complete, running(sort of) car. You, on the other hand, started from ground ZERO, and are damn near as far as I am, and I’ve had the car for almost 4 years. I’ve just been slowly re-building mine since I got it. All kidding aside, you’re doing a hell of a job(Mary too), and you should be proud of what you’ve accomplished in such a short period of time. You and Mary should be wearing capes like Superman and Supergirl. …………Mikey 😮 😯 😆

masracingtd1167
            Participant

Hi Mickey I was just looking at your pictures And I noticed something . I see you have your pressure regulator mounted solid this can cause fuel pressure to spike and make your needle and seat in the carb to leak . This is something I learned from Billy Casey and it works . He always said you should just let them hang or insulate them with rubber . The man knew his stuff!

mikey

Billy, thanks for the info. I’ve had a problem at times, with those exact things happening. The regulator has been mounted there since I bought the car. How should I go about doing what you suggest? Maybe a short bracket bolted to the head, then a nut and bolt through a rubber spacer, maybe like a shock bushing?? Hey, does the coolant tank and the trans cooler look OK? I mounted the tank a little higher up to hopefully eliminate any possibility of fluid siphoning. I like the radiator to be as “clean” as possible.
                    ………………Mikey 😆

Yup!! You are 100% correct. Billy knew his stuff!! 😀

babycakes
                    Participant

Hey Mikey,besides the ‘heat’ wave,I was wondering how the heavy rains effected both you and Tom down there? Any flood damage,or what? Just curious,and hope things were minimal….Pete.

masracingtd1167
                        Participant

Hi Mickey your suggestion for mounting the regulator would be perfect . It’s one of those little things I learned from Billy that mean a lot .I always said that if Billy had the money to race the way he wanted to he would have bean right up there with guy’s like Jenkins .

mikey

Sorry about the late reply, Pete. Rains just keep washing out racing, but no other side affects to me, not sure about Tom, but I’d have to say he’s OK. If he didn’t post anything about it, he’s good. My car has been on the trailer since Friday afternoon. My son is buying a house, and I let him use the garage for all of his stuff. Helped him move it all yesterday. Today, I helped my son-in-law Brad, clean out his garage, and built him a nice work bench, and my Willy’s will live in his garage until my son John closes on his house. Should be two to three weeks, maybe sooner, but I doubt it. My grandson, Dylan is all excited, because he’s the one that dubbed the car “Papa’s Toy”. He has always called me Papa, as does his little sister. I can always work on the car at that garage, as Brad has some tools, and I can bring what I need. There is always plenty of beer, water, music, and a nice big salt water pool. ………………Mikey 😆

Billy, the next project is to put rubber insulators on the fuel pressure regulator, and fix a “sometimes” short in the switch panel for the coolant fans. Need to take the panel off the roll bar, and “investigate”. 😕 🙄

tomblake
                                Participant

Pete….No rain problems here. Just kept me inside grinding fiberglass that made a mess.

babycakes
                                    Participant

Thanks both Mikey and Tom for your response.Thankfully either one of you didn’t get flooded out,or a loss of electricity! Every time I see those ‘high’ temps down south,on the weather channel in the 100 degree + mark,I feel for you guys;but I guess somehow you get used to it? 😳 Anyway,I for one always looking forward to looking and admiring both your beautiful ‘hot-rod’ projects you put on the forum. I’m sure there gonna run,as good as they look! Keep up the ‘great’ workmanship,and THANK YOU guys! 😀 …Pete.

mikey

I don’t know about Tom, but I’ve got a 3500 watt generator on the trailer, and I’ve got a 5500 for the house. The 5500 will run everything in the house, including the Central A/C and heat. Just have to turn off the hot water heater until it’s really needed. Learned my lesson in the 2004 hurricanes. We were out of our house for 14 months, what a bummer!!
                                            ………………….Mikey 😆

mikey

Well, hopefully, tomorrow night I will get to try “Papa’s Toy” out for the first time in about one year. I didn’t realize that it had been that long until my wife mentioned it to me. Going to tow down to Lakeland, a nice little 1/8th mile track, and I’m really looking forward to it. Now I get the jitters, you know: Is this right, did I remember that, will the front end work correctly, and on and on. ……………..Mikey 😮 😯 😆

frank-j-majauskas
                                                Participant

Hey Mikey, Give her hell ❗ 😆 That nerve stuff, I think we all go through
                                                    that, until you’re strapped in and that baby fires up ❗ You’ll be just fine ❗
                                                    Have a good time , be safe and report in when you return home Buddy… 😎

Frank…

tomblake
                                                    Participant

Mikey…..jitters, I know what your talking about. The jitters go away once you get to the starting line. So many things that you can think of that might not go the way you can imagine till you make that first pass. The thing that can give you confidence is you were the mechanic and you did all those things step by step the right way.

babycakes
                                                        Participant

Mikey,Mikey,Mikey,like the kids say nowadays ‘ chillax’! Tom and Billy are 100% right! Once you get on the starting line,it’ll be ‘ole’ school to you (been there-done that). Concentrate on the 3rd amber,then ‘pedal to the metal’ and enjoy the fruits of your labor,blistering the 1/8th mile,with a ‘big’ smile!!! Good luck,and have fun! Pete. 😀

dino
                                                            Keymaster

Photos Please …Take Cassie or someone to do the camera..don’t go it alone.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 414 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.