Who’s on line? the DAILY ‘CHAT’ that never ends

Forums Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Who’s on line? the DAILY ‘CHAT’ that never ends

Viewing 15 posts - 1,951 through 1,965 (of 7,851 total)
  • Author
    mikey

Just thought I’d let you guys know that I’ve got an appointment for Thursday evening to take “Papa’s Toy” to see the Dyno. I’m having the car put on a Chassis Dyno at a shop here in Kissimmee. I want to find out where the Horsepower peaks, and just starts it’s downturn, so I can shift the car at the peak Horsepower. With the 4″ stroke, I think about 6500RPM is about peak, but I’m not sure. I’ve never been over 6200 with the car. I’m a little curious to see what kind of HP it’s getting at the rear wheels. I won’t really know what the engine makes, but I can guesstimate after the Chassis Dyno pulls. I think 2 pulls should tell the tale, we’ll see. I figure for $50. an hour, it’s worth it. ………….Mikey 😮 😯 😆

maso
        Participant

$50.00 an hour sounds damn reasonable to me.

Let us know how it goes when it’s done… I wanna’ hear all about it.

I wonder just how accurately and usefull those “Dyno Symulation” software packages are, like this one: http://www.virtualengine2000.com/

Anybody know…?

It is expensive, but I s’pose if it’s reasonably accurate then it could be a usefull tool for planning out how to put together the engine that you want.

gene-terenzio-sr
            Participant
                quote Maso:

$50.00 an hour sounds damn reasonable to me.

Let us know how it goes when it’s done… I wanna’ hear all about it.

I wonder just how accurately and usefull those “Dyno Symulation” software packages are, like this one: http://www.virtualengine2000.com/

Anybody know…?

It is expensive, but I suppose if it’s reasonably accurate then it could be a usefull tool for planning out how to put together the engine that you want.

Here’s a site thats free from Spud Miller,
                http://fuelinjectionent.com/
                don’t forget to buy his flowed nozzles,
                When you sign up tell him I recommended you to him.
                He makes a lot of great parts too.
                Check out all the stuff he has to offer.

mikey

Thanks, Gene. I appreciate the input. I’ll check it out, you can never have too much information. ………..Mikey 😆

maso
                    Participant

But…

Spud Miller is all about fuel injection. And you don’t have fuel injection…

patina
                        Participant
                            quote mikey:

Thanks, Gene. I appreciate the input. I’ll check it out, you can never have too much information. ………..Mikey 😆

Yes you can!!!!!

Pat

mikey
                                quote patina:

quote mikey:

Yes you can!!!!!

Pat

Explain too much information! That’s like saying someone is having too much fun, which is not possible! 😆

patina
                                Participant

Not a good analogy “too much fun” good “too much information” overload. 😆 😆 😆 😆

Pat

mikey

Oh, OK. I’m seeing what you’re throwing, now! I could get info I don’t really need, which could cloud my judgement. It can’t be any cloudier than driving without my glasses! Just kidding. I know what you mean. Curiosity is making me do it, and I might be sorry, we’ll see. Basically, I’m hunting for a good RPM to shift the car at, without going to an RPM range that’s got the HP on a downward spiral. If the HP starts to nose over at let’s say 6500, I’ll shift the car at maybe 63 to 6400. What do you think, Pat, good idea, or bad? So far, I’ve not gone over 6200, and generally, I shift it at 6000. I just want to stop guessing, and get consistent. Like doing a burnout, it needs to be the same every time. …………..Mikey 😆

dino
                                        Keymaster

Just checking in…Been REAL Busy lately…actually using a Lettering Brush a lot….drives the vinyl guys crazy…ah the sweet smell of paint…And just perfected a NEW way to airbrush on Vinyl and Laminate it with Clear vinyl…special order trick stuff finally arrived. Digger will be happy.better than my previous method. Mikey – what Color on the /Gas you want and the city-state.? back to the garage….my paint brush is drying up.

don-kauer
                                                quote mikey:

Oh, OK. I’m seeing what you’re throwing, now! I could get info I don’t really need, which could cloud my judgement. It can’t be any cloudier than driving without my glasses! Just kidding. I know what you mean. Curiosity is making me do it, and I might be sorry, we’ll see. Basically, I’m hunting for a good RPM to shift the car at, without going to an RPM range that’s got the HP on a downward spiral. If the HP starts to nose over at let’s say 6500, I’ll shift the car at maybe 63 to 6400. What do you think, Pat, good idea, or bad? So far, I’ve not gone over 6200, and generally, I shift it at 6000. I just want to stop guessing, and get consistent. Like doing a burnout, it needs to be the same every time. …………..Mikey 😆

Hey Mikey………Go on a Dyno…It’s worth the $ to find out where your curve is and then you’ll have your shift points 😎

mikey

Done, and here are the results. I got a big surprise when the engine kept on pulling to 7000, when it hit the rev limiter. I honestly thought that it would nose over at around 62 to 6500. I made 3 pulls, 1st at 6500, 2nd at 6800, and the 3rd at 7000 which hit the rev Limiter. I did not take it any higher because I didn’t have a higher chip, and I wasn’t willing to go higher without one. At 7000 and still pulling when it hit the Rev Limiter, it made 371.72 horsepower at the rear wheels, and 326.92 ft.lbs. of torque. Some of the guys there were trying to calculate flywheel horsepower, and they came up with anywhere from 446, to 498. I’m not sure I care, I know the car goes like heck, and now I’ve got a good idea for my shift points. I’ll shift it at 6500, and go from there. Oh, Tom Blake and his friend Denny came up to watch the process. We’ve seen the engines on a Dyno, but none of us ever saw a car on a Chassis Dyno. Pretty cool, and very interesting. I learned a lot, and I’m very happy. Oh, almost forgot. They put a probe in the exhaust to check the air/fuel mixture, and it’s right on. That means that Mikey did a good job on his E85 tune-up. Now I can play with timing and valve adjustment. OK, I’m ready for all the comments and remarks, and I welcome them all. Really had a good time, well worth the money. …………Mikey 😆

Attachments:

babycakes
                                                    Participant

Mikey,the good ‘ole’ dyno sure takes the guess work for ‘total’ performance from your engine.Remember years ago it was all guess work,’seat of the pants’ guessing fuel jets and pills,timing,and shift points at what rpm’s?.’Dyno’ is the ‘only’ way to go nowadays,more ‘bang’ for your ‘buck’.Good call Mikey,lots of luck racing this season!

maso
                                                        Participant

Mikey’s gonna’ pull off a coool 10.41 ET next time up… you;ll see…!

maso
                                                            Participant

Mikey’s gonna’ pull off a cool 10.41 ET next time up… you’ll see…!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,951 through 1,965 (of 7,851 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.